Chapter Two

Tucker Conway liked to live without regrets.

But he was surely regretting going to the club with Dan. It had been years since the two had gone to a club, and not just a pub that served alcohol at prices that wouldn't empty out his wallet.

At the beginning of the night, Tucker had jokingly told Dan to let loose. But what he wasn't expecting was having to pull Dan down from the counter and stop him from stripping in front of hundreds of strangers. Had Dan not been his best friend and soon to be brother-in-law, Tucker would've left his ass.

But being Best Man came with responsibilities, and Tucker begrudgingly abided by them.
The two men stumbled back into Tucker's apartment a little after 3 a.m. Dan barely made it to the couch, and passed out as soon as his face hit the cushion.

Tucker sighed, taking off Dan's shoes and covering him up with a blanket. Tired and hammered, he fell asleep instantly. He wasn't even asleep for an hour, when he was woken up by the loud ringing of his phone. He picked it up, groaning when he saw his sister's name flash on the screen.

"What the fuck, Paige? It's like 4 something in the morning." Tucker cursed.

"Tuck! Hi!" Paige giggled, Tucker cussed internally when he remembered Paige was also having her Bachelorette party tonight, "Can you pick me up?"

"Where are your bridesmaids?" Tucker asked, sitting up.

"They're passed out," Paige hiccuped, "I don't know where I am, Tuck!"

"Jesus Christ Paige! Send me your live location and stay right where you are. I'm coming." Tuck hung up after that. He got up, taking out a bottle of water from the fridge and gulping it down in a single go as he took the elevator to the basement parking.

He got inside his car and took out his phone, checking for Paige's message to see where she was. Fucking hell, Tucker said when he saw that the location was of Paige's own apartment. He dialed her number, and rolled his eyes when she didn't pick up.

Deciding it was best not to take a risk, Tucker ended up driving to Paige's apartment anyway. He had to make sure that his sister was okay, even though he was pretty sure that she was just drunk out of her mind when she made the call and was probably safe in her home.

He waved to the guard upon entering the fancy building, having been there quite a few times, and took the elevator to the 18th floor. Paige did well at her job, and her home was proof of that. Tucker knocked twice, but when no one opened, he took out the spare key that she had given him.

Tucker went inside, the apartment was trashed with glasses and decorations and what not. Paige was going to have to spend hours cleaning up, and he wasn't one to feel sorry for her. A couple of Paige's friends were passed out in the living room. He went to Paige's room, and sighed in relief when he saw his sister asleep on her own bed.

Annoyed at his sister's antics, but also relieved that she was safe, Tucker left her apartment. He yawned in the hallway, waiting for the elevator to arrive. He was going to go back and sleep for twelve hours straight, he promised himself.

The elevator doors opened, and Tucker was almost taken aback by the man inside it. He recognised him almost immediately, despite the fact that he was in sweatpants and a tank top, and not in an expensive suit like usual.

Tucker prayed to the Gods above, hoping that the man doesn't recognise him. But it was definitely not Tucker's day as he watched recognition flash in the man's eyes.

"Conway," Callum said, "Travis? Tanner?"

"Tucker," He grumbled, "What are you doing here?"

"I live here," Callum replied, an amused expression on his face, quite opposite to the grumpy one Tucker had, "Moved recently. Your sister recommended the building, and I have to say, she has an excellent taste."

"Right." Tucker nodded, biting his tongue as to not say anything snarky. His sister would have his head if she got to know he insulted her boss again. He faced towards the elevator door, ignoring the man behind him.

"You look like shit." Callum pointed out.

"Thanks," Tucker grunted, still not looking back, "A compliment from you is all I need."

"Seriously man, I don't understand what you have against me."

"For one, you just said that I look like shit." Tucker rolled his eyes.

"That was just an observation," Callum shrugged, "And if there was a mirror here then you'd see it too."

"Why are you still talking?" Tucker snapped. On cue, the elevator opened as the two reached the ground floor. Tucker bolted out, walking as fast as he could to get back to his car.

Tucker almost tripped on his open shoelaces, he cussed the day he was born and continued walking out. He ignored Callum laughing behind him, growing more and more annoyed by the second. Once he was inside his car, he watched as Callum jogged past him.

"Jogging at 5 a.m on a Sunday? Who the fuck does that?" Tucker said to himself. Sure, he loved to work out occasionally but he would never wake up this early to do it. Especially on a weekend.

Tucker waited for his car to heat up, and he swore that he would close his eyes just for ten seconds. Ten seconds won't do any harm, right?

Tucker woke up with a jolt when he heard really loud knocking. He rubbed his eyes, trying to clear his vision as he turned to look who disturbed him. Tucker muttered a fuck when he realised that it was a police officer.

"What seems to be the problem, Officer?" Tucker asked, as he rolled down his windows.

"You can't park and sleep here." The officer muttered.

"I wasn't, I mean I was.. but I wasn't. Just had a long night." Tucker yawned.

"License and registration." The officer ordered. Tucker patted his pyjama pockets, looking for his wallet when he realised he had left his apartment in such a hurry that he had forgotten to take his wallet with him. It was still in the pocket of the jeans he wore at the club, "Get out of the car."

Tucker got out of the car, ready to explain what he was doing there. He knew he wouldn't be in any trouble, perks of knowing the law by heart. Not having his license was tricky, and he was sure he breath was stinking too, but confidence was key.

"Listen, Officer—" Tucker read his name tag, "Wheeler, I was—"

"Everything okay here?" A voice interrupted them, "What's up, man?"

Tucker watched as Callum and the cop did a bro shake, and gave each other side hugs. He rolled his eyes in annoyance, of course, the rich guy had the police in his pocket too.

"Oh, don't worry about him, he's a friend." Callum waved his hand dismissively, and it was like the officer forgot Tucker was even there. After talking for a few minutes, a conversation that Tucker tuned out of, the cop simply walked away.

Tucker rubbed his forehead with his fingertips, he was feeling a massive hangover coming his way. It was one of the most tiring nights of his life, and that's saying something because the man had gone to Law School at the top University in the country.

Before Callum could even open his mouth to say something, Tucker got back in his car and rolled his windows up. He watched from the corner of his eye as Callum frowned and took a step back. Tucker put the keys in the ignition and drove away, leaving the man without a single glance.

Once he reached his own apartment, it was quarter past six. Dan was still passed out on his couch, his limbs spread out like a starfish. Tucker chuckled at the sight, taking a quick picture he'd definitely use during the PowerPoint presentation he was preparing for his speech during the wedding.

Getting into his bed for the second time during that night, or well, morning now, Tucker dozzed off.

***