Fear

The first thing Selin noticed that morning was how the nurse tried in vain to hide her tension and expression of concern. The second thing was that she emptied the urine collection bag in silence and when she checked Selin's body temperature and gave her medication, she wrote down the results on the chart without even mentioning Demir's name. The third thing she noticed was that when the other nurse brought her breakfast, she dodged all of Selin's questions about what was going on.

Selin didn't like the situation at all. She hated to feel that she was being excluded from something, especially when she was sure that the thing in question had something to do with her.

This was her first day in the new room, it should be a day when she would be in a good mood, celebrating the new stage of her recovery. But, there she was creating a thousand different scenarios to explain the sudden change in the hospital's atmosphere.

— Ah Çiçi ... — She grunted staring at the small fish that swam calmly. — Do you see how they treat me? It's like I'm invisible, like I'm not important enough to know what's going on.

The goldfish went around the edge of the aquarium and then swam towards Selin.

— Don't look at me like that, Çiçi. You know very well that something is going on here. You're not a fool, I'm sure you've noticed the change in the environment as well. But let it be. I will press Demir until he tells me.

Selin let a small smile slip by predicting her doctor's reaction to her interrogation. Demir could be a serious and rigid man, but she was persistent and when she put something on her head it didn't take off so easily. He would speak for good, or she would beat him out of tiredness.

Anyway, she wouldn't spend much more time in the dark. Nil was about to arrive for the first physiotherapy session in the new room, she would probably tell Selin what was going on.

She didn't tell.

Nil entered the room visibly tense and greeted Selin briefly forcing a smile. She explained how and what the movement they were going to start training for worked. Selin was going to start exercising her arm muscles to be able to flex them. Such a movement would be useful so that she could go back to doing tasks such as combing her hair and especially eating alone.

Selin was excited to start. Undoubtedly, being able to feed herself was one of the things she most yearned to do. She hated being treated like a child who cannot do anything without the help of a supervisor.

Inevitably she thought of Demir. Although Nil was always very objective when explaining things to her, she liked to hear him say how important physiotherapy was and exemplify the many achievements he believed she would have.

The sound of knocking on the door caught their attention. It was him. Demir always accompanied Selin in physical therapy sessions. It had been a request from her parents who were afraid that their daughter would not engage in treatment. They knew that if Demir was present he would not allow Selin to be unmotivated.

The door opened slightly and Selin craned her neck slightly to see the doctor enter the room. It was a different emotion for her, every day she felt like this was the most important moment. Seeing Demir walk through that door and say: "Selin Hanım, hazır mısınız?", made her heart race and her mind fill with plans and expectations. It was as if all doubts and insecurities were gone, because she knew he would never lie to her.

As a result, hearing Merve's jump pop against the bedroom floor as she entered the room and approached the bed was like having a bucket of cold water thrown at her.

— Demir nerede? — Selin asked, not even giving her friend the opportunity to greet her.

— Demir Bey had a small unforeseen event. — Explained Merve calmly.