Effects

The first thing Selin noticed when he opened her eyes was the white ceiling. The second thing was the blur in the shape of a man who seemed to look at something on her arm.

Günaydın. — That was the first thing that Selin heard clearly.

The thick, melodious voice of the man beside her seemed to have come straight from heaven. The strange noise was still present in her ear, but now it seemed lower and she felt able to bear it. Her head still felt a little dizzy and she still couldn't see anything clearly around her.

Selin realized that the mysterious man stared at her for a moment leaving her completely confused. She tried to ask what was going on and who he was, but her throat felt too rough to make any sound.

— Selin, if you can hear me, try to move a finger.

Her eyes fixed on his face even without seeing him perfectly, the familiar scent traveled through his nostrils and filled his lungs with a strange sense of security. Selin was far from understanding what kind of request that was or why that strange man was making it, but even so she felt that she should join all her forces to obey him.

She would be lying if she said it was easy to do the job she was given. To tell the truth that was perhaps one of the most difficult things she had ever done in her life and yet she did not know if she had really managed to do it correctly.

Hoşgeldiniz Selin Hanım, I was waiting for you.

Selin's heart seemed to fail for a moment, not with excitement, but with fear. What did that man mean to say he was waiting for her? How long had he been there waiting for some kind of signal from her? Why would he be there? Why would she be there? What place was there?

— Selin, sakin ol. — The man asked, and Selin noticed the frantic beeps echoing around the place. — Lütfen, I don't want to have to put you to sleep again.

The phrase "put you to sleep again" caught Selin's attention. Has she been sleeping all this time? How many days formed "all the time"?

She looked up at the stranger's face once again, her concern and fear were probably visible.

— Selin, I will evaluate your pupils, tamam?

Selin wasn't sure if he expected her to respond, but he did his best to signal her permission. The light penetrated her eyes directly and caused a little discomfort. She blinked a few times when he pulled it away from her eyes.

— No apparent brain damage. — The man spoke to himself and wrote down something on what Selin supposed was a piece of paper. — I know you are very confused now, I promise I will clarify all your doubts, but first I need to take you to do some tests.

The mere mention of the word test made Selin panic. She was not the biggest fan of needles or hospitals or surgery and judging from what was happening since the moment she opened her eyes she was being forced to live with her fears.

— It is a resonance and you will be awake all the time, there is no reason to be afraid.

Oha! That was the first thought that occurred to Selin. Was that man reading her mind or...?

— I had some interesting conversations with your parents.

Selin wanted a hole to open before her. Perhaps it would be better to her go back to sleep. She knew her parents well enough to know that they told everyone things that they were supposed to forget.

The man, who she was now sure was a doctor, smiled at her and left the room. A short time later a nurse came in and told her that she was going to prepare her for the exam. Selin soon realized that preparing her for the exam actually meant making the place where she was lying moving. She also noticed that since she opened her eyes, she always looked up as if her head and body were lying on the same level, preventing her from seeing beyond the white ceiling and the lights that were arranged along the way.