Demir Erendil

Demir hated his birthdays.

Anyone looking outside thought he was just a bitter man who took pleasure in making his friends sad whenever they suggested doing something on that date. He always said that he did not remember the last time he celebrated the day of his birth, that it was not important and that it had never been. It wasn't a lie at all.

To tell the truth he remembered very well the last time he had celebrated his birthday. He was five years old and his mother had thrown a small party just for him and his best friend Vedat. Demir didn't want much, just pass all day running around the house and eating junk food.

When you are five years old you usually think that you have many birthdays to celebrate and many parties to do. It is customary to think about what the next holiday will be and what kind of gift you will receive.

That was the last time Demir thought about his upcoming birthdays.

That was the last time Demir thought of any kind of celebration.

The following week, his mother was packing and walking out the balcony door towards a future of which he was not a part. The following month, his father was putting him in the back seat of the car and taking him to boarding school. Those were the last times Demir saw his parents.

Being abandoned as a child has its advantages, at least that's what Demir used to say to himself. If he hadn't grown up alone, surrounded by strangers, he might not have become the person he was. Maybe he was less determined, maybe he was less organized, maybe he was less focused and he sure as hell wouldn't be a doctor. His father would not have been proud, he wanted Demir to follow in his footsteps and become a...

What was his job really?

Demir did not remember, or chose to forget. It didn't make a difference after all, he would never be like him.

Demir was obsessed with work, at least that's what people said. All his actions and thoughts revolved around that hospital. His life was that hospital. But the truth was that he used work as an escape valve in the same way that he had used studies. If he kept his mind occupied with important things he would have no time to dwell on his depressing past.

But this year would be different. Well, that was what Vedat said when he called Demir to ask if he was on duty at the hospital. Of course Vedat knew the answer, but he wanted to see if Demir would lie to him again.

After trying to find all the excuses as possible, Demir finally accepts Vedat's invitation to go dinner. But only 'cause he said that would be a normal dinner without cake or any kind of surprise. Demir didn't really believe his friend's words, but he was too tired to argue.

İyi ki doğdun patron! — Merve said approaching Demir with a big smile on her face. — İyi ki varsin! I know that you really hate your birthday and I don't know why, but I feel bad for not celebrate the day that the best patron in the world was born. So I bought a little gift for you. — Merve held her hands out to Demir, she was holding a small blue box. He looked at her confused and she forced an even bigger smile. — Don't be mad at me, please.

Demir took the small box out of Merve's hands. Although he didn't like celebrations, there was nothing he could do to stop his friends from celebrating for him. He and Merve weren't exactly friends, Demir had a very specific and rigid rule against any kind of emotional relationship with his coworkers. But he learned very soon that Merve wasn't really the kind of person who follows the rules. Specially the ones that she thinks that was stupid.

Teşekkürler Merve, sağol. — Demir said, opening the box. Inside were a pair of cufflinks with the letters 'D' and 'E'. It was a simple but elegant gift. Demir appreciated Merve's good taste and gesture. — You shouldn't have been worried.