Sürpriz

The day dawned cloudy. Dark clouds covered the sky and a cold wind blew in through Selin's window. She opened her eyes slowly, the memory of the dream was still clear in her mind. Ever since she and Demir got along, the doctor had become the main character in all the stories her imagination told her during the night.

It was clear that this was not something new. She had dreamed of him for a long time, since the days she was in the hospital. But at that time, dreams were all she had. Now, on the other hand, added to them were the memories of the mornings when he called to say good morning, the afternoons when he was free and went to visit her, the endless conversations and the countless times when she fell asleep in his arms while they were sitting on the sofa on the balcony or in the garden.

Demir was more than Selin could have imagined. He was always willing to cheer her up, to encourage her. She knew that there were days when she became completely unbearable and yet he was patient and tried to understand her.

Selin was afraid of becoming completely dependent on him and knew that, as much as he tried not to show it, Demir felt the same way. He was not his first crush, but it would be her last. The way she loved him made it clear that she would never feel the same way about someone else.

So, perhaps, the fear of losing him was even greater than what she felt about other people. That was the main reason that motivated her to continue with therapy sessions, it was good to have someone with the outside eye with whom to talk about the things she feared in relation to her own feelings.

She knew that she still had a long way to go before she became minimally like the version of herself before the accident. She was aware that she would not be the same, not even the most optimistic and positive person in the world would be the same after going through everything she had been through. But, in a way, the change was a good thing, she started to see things that had previously gone unnoticed, she started to appreciate things that she didn't even miss before.

Selin tried her hardest not to regret the things she had lost, it was obvious that some things were easier to overcome than others. She was completely at peace with her return to her homeland, she loved Istanbul and everything the city could offer her. But she still resented not having the opportunity to perform for the audience there. She knew that she would miss ballet for the rest of her life, dance was part of her identity as a person, there was no chance of leaving it behind.

She remembered Demir saying that maybe she could go back to dancing in a new style, as there were people who danced on the wheelchair, but it wouldn't be the same. Ballet was her passion, any other rhythm would make her feel strange and far from herself. Although she was not sure that it would be possible, she came to think of, who knows in the future, teaching children the art of standing on tiptoe.

The sound of the knocking on the door caught Selin's attention. She hadn't noticed how long she had been awake, usually she woke up a few minutes before her cell phone rang with Demir's call, but this time it hadn't. She had certainly overslept.

Gel. — Sein ordered.

Günaydın Selin Hanım ...

Demir's voice reached Selin's ears causing her to smile immediately. The doctor appeared shortly thereafter wearing a moss green polo shirt and beige pants, which caused a strange feeling in the girl. He didn't dress like that on a daily basis, at least she didn't remember seeing him in clothes like that before.

Her expression should demonstrate a lot of what was going on in her head, because Demir looked at her with a curious look before saying:

— Ask, Selin.

She smiled sheepishly at being caught, but curiosity spoke louder. She needed to know where he came from or where he was going with that outfit.

— That clothes... — She started not sure how to ask. — What does that mean?