The wonderful mystery of the mind

Science has evolved a lot over the decades, but still incapable to explain with a hundred percent certainty how the human brain works. It is known that the comatose patients can hear everything around them. It is known that some patients may even speak during this unconscious period.

Every patient that survives to the coma has a different reaction to the time that they are in comatose. Some people can't remember anything that they heard or speak when they wake up. Have those who describe the period as hypnosis, as they cannot identify the time lag between the 'before' and the 'after'. Others reported having vivid dreams during this period.

But what would these dreams be?

Memories?

Wishes?

Hallucinations?

Both?

None?

Different people react differently to similar situations.

For example, Selin. She was always a girl with a fertile imagination and a little childlike mentality. At school, classmates used to make fun of her because of her dreamy behavior. The people around her used to say that she was extremely innocent and naive. Some said she was silly, others were more aggressive and said openly that she must have some kind of mental problem. Selin used to pretended not to hear these people and over time she learned how to ignore them.

The truth was that her mind used to run free and she did not limit her imagination and dreams. She was always trying been happy or at the least look like she was. She always looked for ways to make people happy, sometimes even forgetting about herself. It was just looking at her past to realize this, her whole life she struggled to make her parents happy. She was an obedient daughter, a disciplined daughter, a daughter they were proud to speak of.

Most Sinop girls wanted to find a cute boy and build a big family, but she didn't. Selin's dream has always been to dance around the world, she wants to know all those beautiful places out there, get to know all the different cultures and taste the most diverse foods. It took a long time before she finally convinced her parents that she could take care of herself, she understood their concern, but they also needed to understand her dreams.

If Selin of the past could see the situation in which her current version was at that moment she would surely find it ironic that even she was unable to understand what was going on in her mind.

This was perhaps the strangest dream Selin ever had and it coming from someone like her that meant a lot.

She was in a great void. There was nothing there. She could hear the echo of her breathing that was becoming faster and faster. She tried to walk, but her feet seemed to be stuck to the floor. She tried to speak, but her voice got stuck in her throat as if the vocal cords were stuck together.

She looked up, hoping to find some sign, some answer, but all there was was a blank. Without light, without color, without sound, without life. Selin felt trapped. It was like being in quicksand, the more she tried to move, the more she sank. The more she tried to speak, the more her throat tightened.

The sound of her heartbeat was almost audible and she could feel her heart crashing violently against the walls of her chest. Selin was a brave girl, few things in the world were capable of terrifying her. At least, that was what she used to think.

Then from somewhere, somehow, a strange and strong light hit her face. She felt something liquid run between her legs, water. She smelled the wet stones and the rain falling somewhere away from her. She tried to move and this time she managed to take a few steps just to hit a rough, damp wall.