I was waiting for you

Two days have passed since the accident. Selin was still sleeping in the ICU. Her parents were unable to leave the hospital for even a minute. Even though they knew that they could not stand beside her in the ICU room, they stood outside looking at the door in the hope that she would get out of there at some point. This was, without a doubt, the worst feeling they have experienced in years. They remembered the last time they felt this way and hoped that this time the ending would also be happy.

They saw nurses coming and going from the room over and over again and each time they asked how their daughter was, hoping that the answer had changed. Merve had tried to get them to go home, but it was useless. She herself had not left the hospital since the accident. And there was still Ayda. She was not taking any risks, but she still stayed in the hospital because she had a nervous breakdown when she heard about Selin's condition.

It was already night when Demir appeared in the hall to check on Selin's condition. He went to and from the ICU at least three times a day. As much as he completely trusted his team, he didn't usually keep a patient out of his eyes for a long time. His steady steps caught the attention of Semih and Reyhan, it was apparent that like them, Demir was exhausted. He was already on the verge of completing 72 straight hours in that hospital and did not have a prediction of when he could go home.

He passed the couple, greeting them in silence with a slight wave, and entered the room. Selin slept softly while the machines around her worked. She had an oxygen mask attached to her face and some bandages spread over her skin. Demir approached the bed where she was lying and analyzed the information that the heart rate meter showed. Then he walked away towards the door to pick up the clipboard with the Selin file that was attached to it and checked the notes made by the nurses. Selin didn't seem to have any improvement, her condition was still the same as when he sent her to an ICU.

— What are we going to do with you Selin Hanım? — He asked without taking his eyes off the paper in his hands. — Your parents are on the other side of the door waiting for me to leave here with the news that you woke up...

The interval between the beeps that the heart rate meter pointed to began to decrease indicating that Selin's heartbeat was getting faster and faster. Demir threw the clipboard on the small couch to his right and quickly approached Selin's bed, but before he could do anything she suddenly opened her eyes.

— Selin? — Demir called to her. He was taken by surprise by the girl's abrupt change of state. — Can you hear me?

Selin's eyes looked up at him, but seemed completely unfocused.

— Selin, I will evaluate your pupils, tamam? — Demir took the clinical flashlight out of his coat pocket and directed the light at the girl's eyes. — If you hear me, can you try to move your finger? — He insisted again.

The frequency of Selin's heartbeat started to increase again and Demir noted that her face was contorted in an expression of pain. He started thinking about giving her a sedative, even though he didn't want to put her to sleep again. After all, he knew it could be risky.

— Peter?

Selin whispered in a weak voice before closing her eyes again. Demir looked startled, he didn't know what had just happened to her condition. He noted that her heartbeat had returned to its previous rhythm and her breathing seemed to be even.

Demir rubbed his temples, giving up the sedative at that moment. He needed to find out what had caused Selin's temporary awakening. He approached the bed and pressed the button that called the nurse. Seconds later one of them entered the room. Before the door closed behind her, Demir could see the worried expression on Selin's parents' faces.