Appropriate matches

"Benedict, I should have known I should find you out here." Anthony steps closer, narrowing his eyes as he focuses, realising exactly who I am but questioning his younger brother anyway. "Do not tell me that that is the featherington girl, Benedict. What have you done?"

"I have done nothing wrong." He defends himself, and myself too, holding my waist to assist me in fastening my dress back up. "And if you do then you shall not be arguing with my marriage to Peaches to rectify things, shall you?"

"You are as frustrating as you are stupid, brother." Anthony is clearly irritated as he huffs and then begins to stride away, stopping dead in his tracks and then suddenly screeching. "You bastard!"

"I do not know what is happening there..." Benedict wobbles slightly as he attempts to fasten his suspenders whilst helping me with my dress, but rushes off as he hears Anthony continue shouting. I follow. Daphne appears to be in the arms of the Duke of Hastings, his hands rest on her hips and the guilty look on both of their faces suggests to me that they have been doing more than simply holding hands. "Daphne?"

"I... I..." Anthony looks as though he shall explode in a moment if he does not release some anger. "I challenge you to a duel, Hastings. You have ruined my sister. Innocent intentions, that is what you promised, and you have broken your promise. But I shall keep mine, we shall duel at sunrise."

This causes benedict to laugh a little, as he cannot believe his brother would be serious about a duel. "Brother, you cannot challenge the duke to a duel. Surely there is a more mature way for us to handle this situation?"

"You shall not lecture me on what is and what is not mature, as though I have not just caught you in a compromising position with Lady Featherington that would completely tarnish her families reputation! You shall not lecture me on maturity!" It is clear to me that Anthony shall not be reasoned with, but this does not stop Benedict giving it another attempt. "Do you not care what the duke has done to our sister? Do you not care what this could mean for her, for us? You have never cared for this family, Benedict, not as I have. I suppose that is what comes with being the irresponsible second born. Well, you must prepare for tomorrow I shall either be killed or I shall have to go on the run, and so you shall become Lord Bridgerton. And only over my dead body shall you marry Peaches Featherington."

Benedict does not say anything more, shaking his head and looking to both the duke and daphne with pity in his eyes, before his attention is back on me. "Do follow me Peaches, I am aware when I am not wanted."

He may be able to sigh and walk away, but I cannot. I am not one to ever lose my temper and especially not against men such as Anthony Bridgerton, but I do not believe I can leave the situation as he did. "You have no right to address Benedict as you just did."

"Excuse me? You have no business in telling me how I run my family. I should think that your parents would take me as a good example before they run the featherington name into the mud." Anthony is startled when I speak to him, deeply insulted. Daphne looks at me with surprise, and the Duke merely looks contemptuous. "You should do as he says and go with him, and become better at realising when you are also not wanted.

"No. You have no right to call him those things and you have no right to act as though you are superior to either of us. It does not matter that you are first born, and it does not show that you care for your family so deeply since you are about to throw it all away in a duel. Benedict shall be a far better viscount than you could ever dream to be. You are a horror, Anthony. A horror. You cause nothing but problems and pain for the people that you claim that you care about most. Take daphne as only one example and take Benedict as another, and I am sure that all of your siblings should testify the same. You are no Lord and you are no nobleman, and you would indeed be lucky to be half the kind and gracious man that Benedict proves he is. You prove you are nothing but abrasive, rude and paranoid." I scowl at him, breathing out through my nose in short spikes as I focus my frustration. Benedict has kept hold of my hand throughout, and when he places a gentle kiss on the top of my head, I know that he is not irritated or upset with me for what I have said. "I do not know why you think so little of me, but I am not like my sisters and I am nothing at all like my mother or father. I love your brother and I do not see why that is not enough. I am not a modiste or an opera singer, for that matter. I am from a wealthy bloodline, I am a lady, there is nothing wrong with me other than my purple dresses! Why do you dislike me so? Because I know of your other activities with Siena? I should think that you should want to keep me on side for that very reason! I am almost certain everyone knows anyway. Why is it you despise me? Every interaction, given that has only been twice, but you have been rude to me and you have had no need to be."

"A featherington is no match for a bridgerton. You are no match for my brother. You are proving that with this outburst, young lady."

"Do not call me young lady as though you are so vastly superior to me! You have challenged the duke to a duel, anything that you did have or anyone you were is no longer so do not talk to me of appropriate matches!" I begin to get a little more heated and so does he, and I think for a moment that I should quite like to land a punch on the side of his stupid head with those stupid sideburns.

"My dear, stand down. It is okay, it is. Anthony knows he is unreasonable, and he knows that I do not need his blessing. I should like your blessing, brother, but I do not need it. I am going to ask Peaches to marry me once we arrive back in the hall, and it does not matter if you support it or not. I love her, Anthony. I do hope you can find it in your heart to merely be happy for your younger brother. I do not think that is much to ask for."