Rather eager

The boys return to the dining room and I find myself deep in a rather entertaining conversation with Lady bridgerton. As benedict takes the seat by the other side of me, since his original has been invaded by his mother, she exclaims suddenly. "I have just had the most wonderful of ideas. I am aware that you have already married and it is most devastating to myself and your siblings that we shall not have been there to experience so. Perhaps we shall have a large dinner or a ball or some form of get together so that we might all celebrate you. It shall be a wonderful way to show everyone that we are supportive of your marriage and perhaps give them something other to talk of."

"Or perhaps it shall merely fan the flames of the gossip. The two of them shall stay quiet and they shall live low profile until it has all blown over. It is not appropriate to have a wild celebration." Anthony stays stood in the corner as he pours himself another glass of what I now recognise as whiskey. "You shall surely agree with me?"

Violet looks to me, as though to give me permission to speak back to Anthony and to say whatever I am thinking. "I think it shall be a wonderful idea, violet. Both myself and Benedict are rather eager I am sure."

Anthony scowls and tightens his grip on the glass that is in his hand, narrowing his eyes slightly. "No, Peaches. It is not at all a wonderful idea. I am sure you have not forgotten our conversation so quickly,  have you?"

"Conversation?" Benedict is now involved, shaking his head slightly as he looks to his brother. "And what of this conversation, brother? Do you wish to tell me what you have said to my wife?"

"If anthony does not wish to, I shall tell you." I take his hand and lean gently against him, smiling from the affection as he kisses the top of my head. "I am sure Anthony shall not mind. After all, if it is appropriate to say to myself then he shall not mind me repeating it to his brother. Anthony has told me that I shall not paint nor see my friends, nor kiss nor hold your hand in public, I shall not wear purple dresses nor do anything that he deems shall embarrass you. I have been given an entirely strict set of rules that I must follow."

"I did not... you are making it sound worse than it was. I merely advised your new wife that now she is a bridgerton, she must be more careful with what she does and says and who she spends her time around. She is not a featherington anymore, that allowed her to do whatever she liked and that is not the case so much anymore. People look to us as they have never looked at the Featheringtons! I only wish to avoid any further scandal and I shall not apologise for such." Anthony clasps his arms against his chest, scowling as he approaches the table and sits down. He keeps his arms crossed, stretching his legs out as though he thinks the more space he takes up, the more dominant he shall appear.

"I am unsure who died and made you king. You shall not speak to her as such." Benedict scowls back at him and mimics his actions.

"No one. But father died and made me the viscount. Perhaps you do not have to think of our image as I do. Perhaps you do not care. I do not know what it is but you must be more considerate for the rest of us."

Benedict pauses for a moment, and so I begin to speak, but he squeezes my hand as though to tell me not to and so I purse my lips together. "Peaches, allow me to handle this one?" He tilts his head as he asks and I nod. "Anthony, I think that it comes from both myself and my wife, and I think it comes from the very bottom of our hearts, when I ask you to fuck off."

"Excuse me?"

"You heard what I said. I regret already speaking such vulgar language with mama present, I shall not repeat it. You have been incredibly unkind to my wife and I do not care why. Whether it is jealousy or whether it is simply because you are the ton's biggest arsehole, I really do not know. I understand that running our family must be incredibly stressful for you, I sympathise with that but that does not mean you are in any way justified to act towards either of us as you have. I am your brother and you are supposed to care for me, if no one else. I do not know in what unhinged way you believe you are doing that but you are not. You are not at all. I am in love and if you cared then you should support it, you should wish to celebrate too. You cannot be controlling and cruel and disguise it as caring for the image of the family or for our reputation, it is you forgetting that we are your siblings and we are family and we are not pawns that you can manipulate. You have done the same with Daphne, promising her to Berbrooke and such! She is lucky that she made that escape, with no thanks to you, I suppose. Remember for a single moment that I am your BROTHER. You should be happy for me, and if you cannot even pretend then I do not want anything to do with you any longer."

I smile a little at him as he speaks. He defends me with such aggression and purpose that I cannot believe, and I grip onto his hand, squeezing it with reassurance as he has done for me when I speak.

Anthony simply does not know what to do nor say, but I watch as he unfolds his arms and brings his legs together slightly, which tells me that he does feel at least a little defeated. He sees that his mother shall not come to his rescue, and that Benedict is eager to say more if he should wish to, and so he stands and excuses himself from the room. Clearing his throat before he speaks, as he loiters by the door frame. "I shall be in my office if anyone shall need me."

"I am sure we shall not." Benedict smiles at his victory and lifts my hand so he may kiss it, glancing to his mother. "Did you think that was harsh?"

"It was, my boy, yes. But from what Peaches has told me, it was well deserved and so I cannot find it in me to argue against it or defend him." Violet dabs her mouth with a napkin and rises, a little smile on her face too. "I shall go and speak with him and see if we cannot decide on a slightly more amicable way to discuss such issues. The two of you must sleep. It is the queen's tea tomorrow and I am sure that you shall have to answer plenty of questions and speak to plenty of people whilst you are there. I believe it shall be a busy day for you, I must say."

"Yes. We shall stay in my room." He kisses his mothers head before guiding me up the grand stairs and towards his bedroom. "That felt rather good."

"I enjoyed the part where you called him an arsehole the most."