Hopeless dream

We sit down for dinner. As Benedict places his hand on my leg, I move it gently away and twist my body so that I am away from him. He does not acknowledge it, only continues talking of me to his mother. "You should see the paintings that peaches has done, mama. She is so talented you should not believe it."

"I was thinking I would perhaps not paint any longer." I gulp, feeling Anthony's eyes burning into the side of my head with every word I speak.

"What? Whyever not?" Benedict stares at me, a little shocked, his face contorting into a frown. "You love it, do you not? Or... or did I misunderstand?"

"Peaches has clearly had a revelation that to be an artist is a hopeless dream. Her time should be better spent in producing and caring for children and not attending such parties as the entirely repulsive ones that Lord Granville holds. It is a good thing." Anthony seems to smile a little, proud of himself and impressed that I seem to have listened to what he has told me.

The conversation is silent from there. It is a rather awkward dinner and I do not know what at all to say but I do know that it is entirely far from ideal.

Once we have finished the food, Lady Bridgerton clears her throat as she places her cutlery gently down to be collected by their maid. "Anthony, take Benedict to the study so that you might discuss where the newly wed couple shall reside." Anthony clearly takes this role seriously, rising instantly and insisting on Benedict following. He rises, but not before attempting to kiss my lips again, and so it results in another kiss landing on my cheek, before he leaves. I am now alone with Lady Bridgerton. "Peaches, may I ask you a question?"

I nod, realising that I should verbally express this in order to be polite and proper. "Of course, Lady Bridgerton."

"Do you love my son?" .

"Of course, Lady Bridgerton."

"Then my dear, you must act as though it is so!" She exclaims, standing so that she might take the seat by the side of me. "The boy has made many feeble attempts to kiss you or to hold your hand and you have fended him off multiple times! He is simple and a man and so he may not have noticed but I am a lady and we are much more observant. Is there something wrong, my dear girl?"

I let out a sigh of relief as I understand that she is not angry with me, she does not judge me. She does not hate me. "I... I was worried that you should not think it proper for such public displays of affection."

"I think that it is the healthiest thing in a relationship, Peaches. You are in love with him and why should everyone not know this too? I would not have noticed if you had allowed him to kiss you, in fact, I only noticed because you had not!" She reaches and takes my hand, holding it within her own dainty palm and she smiles. It is a smile that reminds me of Benedict's, it reaches her eyes and covers her entire face.

"Lady Bridgerton-"

"Violet. Please."

"I... I... I was concerned that you should not wish to see it. I am aware that your family have suffered, your name has suffered as a result of what we have done and I am sure that people shall continue to gossip until something more interesting happens... I just do not wish to do anything that shall tarnish you any further, I suppose. I know that my involvement with Lord Granville and therefore my art is... well, it would continue to perpetuate these rumours and so I thought it best if I ceased these activities. And if I... well, if I was more careful about what I did in public, what lord and ladies should see me and Benedict doing. I just do not wish to embarrass you any further."

She pauses for a moment. "Anthony has spoken to you, has he not?"

"Yes... he has."

"Ignore him, Peaches. What you are speaking is all his ideas, I can tell he has spoken to you. I can only apologise for whatever it is he has said to you, I do. He is obsessive over this, I am unsure quite why but perhaps it is because he is jealous of the love you share with his brother. Anthony has never quite been the same since his father, my husband, died." She squeezes my hand to reassure me. "Our family shall recover from what has happened, we always shall. We have done so before and it shall take nothing for the members of the ton to forget. I have been around long enough to know this. Of course I do ask that you do not do anything directly outrageous but my dear, you must not stop painting or expressing that you love my son. That is never what I should wish for you. My own marriage was a love match, you are lucky to have found him and to be happy. Do not let Anthony ruin this for you, do not let anyone ruin it for you, my dear girl. In fact, I rather encourage you to tell Anthony just how ridiculous he has been! It shall be nice to see someone put him in his place."

"I... thank you so kindly. I have been feeling so awful about returning here. Anthony has... he has never liked me. He said it was because I was a featherington and I was not good enough and then this entire scandal finally gave him a good enough reason. I... I thought perhaps for a moment that he was correct. I do not wish to embarrass your family any further."

"Peaches, my dear?"

"Yes?"

"You continue to say your family. I must correct you. It is our family now. You are a member of the Bridgerton family, no matter what Anthony wishes to say. You are welcome here, whenever you wish and I am certainly here should you ever wish to gossip!" She laughs, and I join in. I feel relaxed once again, and truly happy knowing that I have been accepted.