Best for you

Everything is running smoothly at the queen's tea. I have stayed with the Bridgertons as much as possible, close by my husband and Violet is insistent that she shall keep an eye on me as well. Anthony does the same for a moment but I do not believe that it is in the kind way that Violet does it. However, he does not do it for long anyway, not after Benedict scowls at him once more to encourage him to leave us alone. And for once, he seems to take a hint. "Perhaps it shall be pleasant after all."

"Perhaps it shall be." I glance around, smiling a little as Eloise strides over to me with purpose. "Eloise-"

"Peaches, may I speak with you?" She does not give me an option in the matter, taking my hand and pulling me away with her so that she might talk to me out of view. "Do you have any idea of who lady whistledown is?"

"Eloise, I do not-"

"I think you perhaps are lady Whistledown." She narrows her eyes ever so slightly, a small smile twisting on her face. "It should make sense with all the things you hear going on at those parties. You are creative and I am sure that you can write as she can."

"It does not make so much as you seem to think it does. Why should I say such things of myself and Benedict? Or Marina? I do not think if I were lady whistledown that I should wish to say such things of myself." I shake my head a little, and I cannot help but smile ever so slightly which seems only as though it convinces her further. "I would not. Think of the consequences it has had for myself."

"Yes, but you and benedict wished to be married and quickly, did you not? That is the only consequence it has has that shall not be undone. You do not like your mother and hence you do not care what damages her reputation suffers... you have been able to marry dear Benedict and eveything is fine from there." She jabs her finger at me as though she thinks she has everything solved. She does not, of course. For not only do I know that I am not lady whistledown but i know exactly who is. And it is a surprise to me that she has somehow come quite close. After all, Penelope is not too far of a stretch from myself.

"Eloise, I am not lady whistledown. You are being ever so silly. Yes I wished to marry your brother but certainly not under these circumstances, I wished for a proper wedding in which I could marry him in front of everyone. I am not what you think, you must keep looking. My suspicions lie with someone such as madame delacroix. Surely that makes entirely more sense?" I raise an eyebrow, suggesting the first person I can think to accuse and she seems to accept this, nodding slowly.

"Yes... yes, that makes good sense! You are quite right Peaches!" She nods, a grin growing on her face as she races back away with her notebook in hand so that she can begin to work back through her ideas and concepts.

Once that conversation is over, I walk back to my husband, who seems to be moving away from a conversation with the queen herself! "Eloise seemed to want to accuse me of being lady whistledown.... was that the queen?"

"It was. You mean that you are not? I must say I had some suspicions, but perhaps not so much after the whole scandal. You are creative and you should hear as much as anyone should." He hands me a little champagne flute, raising an eyebrow.

"That is exactly what Eloise said!" I scoff, hitting his chest gently as he prods my arm. "You are so silly. Oh, is that my mother? She was not invited, was she?"

"No, I believe the queen made quite a point of not inviting them, actually." Benedict hesitates for a moment, looking as my mother appears to have a small altercation with one of the queens guards. "I must say, this is rather difficult to watch."

"She should not have come, she knew she should be turned away. She is no fool, she should realise when she is not wanted." I turn my head to the side as my mother makes eye contact with me.

"Peaches, my dearest. You cannot allow this to happen? Benedict, can you not help?" She tilts her head a little so she might try and maintain eye contact with me, instead appealing to my husband which I find highly irritating. "There must be a way that you can assist us. Your sisters are all dressed up, Peaches."

"Do not speak to either myself and you may certainly never address Benedict again. I shall not help you, why should I? After what you have done to Colin, how could you even expect so? You have never wanted me for anything before and so I shall refuse to help you as you have always refused to help me." I shake my head and watch as she is ushered away, allowing myself to sigh. "I do not like the women but you are correct, it is awful to watch them so ashamed."

"You are not mistaken though. They do deserve such. I am glad you are not involved in them so much any longer... and if you were to ever show the ton that we wish not to be embroiled in any further scandal then that was a sure wonderful way to do so. Now, do you wish to dance with me? Or perhaps I shall get you another drink? You are suddenly so tense." He takes my hand with both of his own, leading me over towards the table that is full of sweets and cakes and drinks and all of these fantastic items that the queen has bought with her. It is a sight to behold and it puts all of the other teas and balls that we have been forced to attend to shame. "Say what you shall like about the queen but she has taste." Benedict grips a large cake and pushes it into his face.

"And what should you say of me?"

I instantly plummet into a curtsy, lowering my head. "Your majesty. We were just speaking of how wonderful your party is."

"You do not need to flatter me so. Your husband here has chartered on and on and spoke so highly of you that I dare not disagree in case he attempts to engage me in a conversation once more." She stands tall, her hands poised in front of her. "He has told me you have a talent for painting. There is a ceiling in the palace that displeases me each time I look at it. You shall come and paint it for me."

"Oh, of course-"

"You do not have to accept because it was not a question." She waves her hand and wanders away.

I can hardly believe that, turning to Benedict and giggling, wrapping my arms around him. "You did that?"

"Only the best for you, darling."