thirty-four: Hideki's punishment

"And here, shipmates, is true and faithful repentance; not clamorous for pardon, but grateful for punishment."
~ Herman Melville 

"No one can make tea like Uncle," Zuko said as he handed me a cup of tea. I looked at it nervously, it's probably poison. "But hopefully, I learned a thing or two. Would you like to hear Uncle's favorite tea joke?"

"Sure," Katara said. 

"I like jokes," Aang agreed.

Toph just crossed her arms, "bring it."

"Please, don't," I told Zuko, and he rolled his eyes at me as he stood up. 

"Okay. Well, I can't remember how it starts but the punch line is, "Leaf me alone, I'm bushed," I face-palmed as the others looked at Zuko, waiting. "Well, it's funnier when Uncle tells it."

"Right. Maybe that's because he remembers the whole thing," Katara quipped. 

"It's nice to get a chance to relax a little," Toph said, and surprisingly, the tea was not poisoned. "It hardly ever happens."

"Hey, can I talk to you two for a second?" Sokka asked. 

"Sure," I agreed and we followed him, leaving the warm happy glow of the group behind. 

"So, what's up?" Zuko asked. 

"If someone was captured by the Fire Nation, where would they be taken?" Sokka asked.

"It depends," I said honestly. 

"But where?" 

"What do you mean? Who was captured?" Zuko asked. 

"When the invasion plan failed, some of our troops were taken. I just want to know where they might be," Sokka said. 

"I can't tell you," Zuko said dramatically. 

"What? Why not?"

"Trust me."

"What Zuko means," I said glaring at him. Is that knowing would just make you feel worse. I know it's where they sent Hideki and Ryuu."

"It's my Dad. He was captured too," Sokka said. "I need to know what I put him through."

"It's not good Sokka," I told him gently. 

"Please."

"My guess is, they were taken to the Boiling Rock," Zuko said and I felt a slight shudder go up my spine. 

"What's that?" Sokka asked with a frown. 

"The highest security prison in the Fire Nation," Zuko explained.

"It's on an island in the middle of a boiling lake," I added.

"It's inescapable," Zuko finished. 

"So where is this place?" Sokka asked. 

"No," I said firmly at the same time Zuko said, "why do you need to know? What are you planning?"

"Nothing. Boy, you're both so paranoid," Sokka said waving his arms, but I just narowed my eyes. 

"It's in the middle of a volcano between here and the Fire Nation. You guys actually flew right past it on your way here," Zuko said and I glared at her. 

"Thanks, Zuko. Just knowing makes me feel better," Sokka said before walking away. 

"Yeah, I'm sure it does," Zuko said sarcastically.

"You're going with him," I said flatly.

"Says who?" Zuko asked, I simply raised an eye. "I'll keep an eye out tonight, you're on duty tomorrow night."