fifteen: Wandering

"Sometimes, when you lose your way, you find yourself."
~
Mandy Hale

Before I began my wandering, I acquired some Earth Kingdom attire to go with what I have from the Water Tribe. I also made sure to take off any markings that might identify me as Fire Nation from my bow and arrows. I made sure to get rid of my Fire Nation attire, but kept the necklace I bought when we ran into the pirates hidden from view. I had a journal that I was keeping a map in, and kept it between the pages. 

I also had enough money to manage for a very long time, an ostrich horse, and enough supplies to survive for a few weeks. However, I was hoping I would manage to find Zuko and Iroh before then, primarily Iroh. And especially before Azula found them, because that would end in disaster. 

Unfortunately, the only things I've heard about are things that sound like Zuko being stupid. The Blue Spirit stealing things in the dead of the night, an old man and his nephew seeking help due to some bad tea leaves, but my best lead was hearing the rumor about the Crown Prince fighting in an Earth Kingdom town. 

Once I found that out, I had a better idea of where to go. Even if Zuko seemed to be wandering more than me. Fortunately, I was just leaving a town when I saw a familiar figure drinking tea. "Oh, finally, I found you," I said as I walked up. 

Iroh looked up and his eyes widened comically. "Xia? What are you doing here?" 

"Believe it or not, looking for you," I told Iroh. 

"My nephew is not with me," Iroh said as I sat down next to him at the table. 

"I'm looking for you," I told him honestly. 

"What would you want with an old man like me?" Iroh asked.

"Other than I still have a lot to learn about bending," I told him honestly. "The old people's club sent me." 

"You've been playing Pai Sho," Iroh said as he stood up and we paid for his tea before leaving. "Who have you met?"

"You know about Master Pakku," I told him. "But I've always contacted King Bumi and my grandfather. You're the last one I'm supposed to contact until Hideki sends me more information."

"Your brother is in on this?" Iroh asked.

"Hideki, Kenzou, and Hina are," I told him. "Asuka is in the North Pole, waiting for her child to be born." 

"What you are attempting, Xia, it is very dangerous," Iroh said.

"I know," I said.

"If you're caught-" Iroh began.

"I know, I'll be banished," I said. "Maybe imprisoned at the Boiling Rock." 

"You could be executed, Xia," Iroh said in warning. "What you are doing is far worse than what your grandfather was banished for, and you won't be a prisoner of war. They will kill you to set an example. And there would be nothing your father could do to prevent it." 

"I know," I said softly. 

"Where are you heading now?" Iroh asked as we left the town to make camp. 

"I don't know, I figured I would stick with you," I told Iroh. 

"I would enjoy that," Iroh said smiling.

~*~

"Where did Zuko go?" I asked Iroh as we walked. 

"He said he needed to find his own way," Iroh said. 

"His own way is nearby," I told Iroh. "I heard rumors of a young man who claimed to be the Crown Prince." 

"I know, I've been tracking him. He is being foolish," Iroh said shaking his head.