twenty-eight: Smoothed

"In every outthrust headland, in every curving beach, in every grain of sand, there is the story of the earth."
~ Rachel Carson

"I never thought I would be so happy to be traveling by boat again," I said as I stood next to Zuko, overlooking the water as we traveled to Ember Island. 

"I'm so excited to spend the weekend on Ember Island," Ty Lee said. "It's gonna be great to hang out on the beach and do nothing."

"Doing nothing is a waste of time," Zuko said as he moved to go stand back in the shade. "We're being sent away on a forced vacation. I feel like a child."

"Zuko, you are still technically a child," Mai said and Ryuu chuckled from his spot next to her on the shaded cushions.

"Lighten up. So dad wants to meet with his advisors alone without anyone else around," Azula said. "Don't take it personally."

"Doesn't your family have a house on Ember Island?" Ty Lee asked. 

"We used to come every summer when we were kids," Azula answered. 

"That must've been fun!" Ty Lee said enthusiastically. 

"That was a long time ago," Zuko said sadly as we pulled into the pier. 

"Fond memories from long ago," I told him as I grabbed his hand and we walked off of the boat to meet to twins, Li and Lo. 

"Welcome to Ember Island, kids," Li and Lo greeted. We looked at the tiny shack, and even I was skeptical. It seemed a bit too small for the six of us. We followed them inside, and I was beginning to wish we went to the Summer house instead. 

"It smells like old lady in here," Zuko said.

I raised my eyebrow, "Gee, I wonder why," Mai said sarcastically as Ryuu picked up a delicate trinket and promptly broke it. 

"You break it, you buy it," I told him.

"Sorry," Ryuu said sheepishly. 

"Who are these two beautiful women?" Ty Lee asked and I winced. 

"Can't you tell," the twins asked together as they posed like they were in the painting. "It's Li/Lo and me."

"Stop asking questions and making comments," I told Ty Lee, but she ignored me. 

"Ooh, I love this seashell bedspread!" She exclaimed. 

"Are you serious?" Mai asked. "It looks like the beach threw up all over it."

"At this point, I think I'd just like to go to the beach," I shrugged. 

"We know you're upset that you were forced to come here this weekend. But Ember Island is a magical place," Li said, or at least I think it was Li. "Keep an open mind."

"Give it a chance," Lo continued, I think. 

"..and it can help you understand yourselves and each other," they continued together. 

"The beach has a special way of smoothing even the most ragged edges," Li said lovingly.  

"Time to hit the beach!" They exclaimed and dropped their cover-ups. I quickly covered Zuko's eyes as Mai did the same for Ryuu.

~*~

"Azula!" I scolded when she destroyed a sandcastle some boys were building. The boys took one look at Azula and ran away screaming. "We could have found another place to sit."

"I want to be here," Azula said firmly as she started to unpack. 

I glared at her and gave Zuko a look. He quickly complied and we moved as far away from his sister as we could. "Why is she so cruel?" I asked as we watched some boys fawn over Ty Lee.