nine: Deserter

"Why did you?" Clary asked.
"Why did I what?"
"Help me back there."
"You're my sister."
She swallowed. In the morning light, Sebastian's face had some color in it. There were faint burns along his neck where demon ichor had splashed him.
"You never cared that I was your sister before."
"Didn't I?"

~ Cassandra Clare

"Are you sure you don't want to bring some soldiers with?" Zuko asked. 

"I'm going to go get on another boat to go and visit my sister," I reminded Zuko. "I'll be just fine." 

"I just worry about you," Zuko said. "You're not fully healed, and I need you here."

"Zuko, you go on your other crazy adventures without me," I told him gently. "That Shirashu was way more than I could've handled anyway. You've got this." 

"Just be careful," Zuko said. 

"I'll be fine," I said. 

"And don't let Zhao intimidate you," Zuko added. 

"He doesn't," I said. 

"I don't like the look of this town," Zuko said. 

"Their ship is literally right there," I reminded Zuko. 

"We will miss you," Iroh said as he hugged me tightly. 

"Stay out of trouble," Zuko reminded as he patted my arm awkwardly. 

"Trouble always finds me," I said as I kissed his cheek and then hurried to my siblings ship. It was your average reunion between half-siblings. Bickering, wedding planning, and teasing.

What wasn't average was our ship being ambushed by a special Earth Kingdom fleet when we docked again because my sister just had to get something. 

And then I learned that trouble finds me no matter who I am with. 

~*~

"Make sure you put those on twice a day," the woman told me as she handed me a bag of medicines. "And change the bandages once a day." 

"Thank you," I told her as I carefully put the bag in with my other things. I turned around when I heard a noise, "what's that?"

"The festival is just starting," the woman told me. 

"Oh, I should head out then," I said.

"Maybe it'll lift your spirits," the woman suggested. "You look as though you've been through some hard times recently."

"You have no idea," I said as I walked out.

I wasn't going to stay for a festival, but I just couldn't resist the fire flakes they were selling. I thanked the vendor for them as a group of people rushed by, I caught sight of a familiar boy and noticed soldiers chasing after them.

So, naturally, I gave chase as well.

If anyone from the Fire Nation asks me why, I'll say it was to help Zuko.

It anyone else asks me, I'll say because Aang needs to end this war. 

"Aang!" I shouted as I caught up to them.

"Xia?" Aang questioned.

"What are you doing here?!" Sokka shouted back at me.

"I could ask you the same thing!" I told him as I tried to keep up. Except my wrists and ankles were burning from the injuries I sustained when I broke out of the Earth Kingdom prison.