eight: Eye of the Storm

"Never lose hope. Storms make people stronger and never last forever."
~ Roy T. Bennett

"Why are you shivering?" Zuko questioned.

"Something feels off," I muttered. 

"There is a storm coming. A big one," Iroh said. 

"You're out of your mind, Uncle. The weather's perfect," Zuko said. "There is not a cloud in sight."

"I don't know, Zuko," I said as I looked at birds flying away from where we were heading. "Even the birds seem to sense it."

"The storm is approaching from the north," Iroh said. "I suggest we alter our course and head southwest."

"We know the Avatar is traveling northward, so we will do the same," Zuko said.

"Prince Zuko, consider the safety of the crew," Iroh said gently. 

"The safety of the crew doesn't matter!" Zuko shouted.

"Zuko," I scolded with a glare as the lieutenant walked up. 

"Finding the Avatar is far more important than any individual's safety," Zuko said fiercely before storming inside. 

"He doesn't mean that, he's just all worked up," Iroh said to the surrounding crew.

"I'm going to prepare the ship, and make sure everything in anchored down," I told Iroh.

"Lady Xia, let the others do that," Iroh said.

"Zuko's not gonna help, might as well do his job for him," I huffed as I rolled my sleeves. As I worked, I reflected on the day I first met Zuko, when I first met the entire royal family. 

I was so terrified. 

"Xia, remember what we've spoken about," my mother said firmly. 

"Why do I have to go alone?" I questioned nervously. 

"Because Princess Azula needs a playmate," mother said. "This is a way to restore honor to our family. Don't you want that? Don't you care about your family?"

"Of course, mother," I said. 

"Then stop being a selfish brat," mother snapped and shoved me towards the palace doors. "Don't dissapoint us."

"Thank you, Hana," a voice said, and I turned to see Lady Ursa. The wife of the Fire Lord, and mother of Princess Azula. I immediately bowed down as my mother looked at her with fear. "I'll take Xia from here." 

Mother didn't say a word as Lady Ursa took my hand gently and led me down the hallway. "Don't worry," she said to me, "I won't let anything happen to you."

"Looks like your uncle was right about the storm after all," Lieutenant Jee said as I looked out at the clouds. 

"Lucky guess," Iroh said goodnaturedly. 

"Lieutenant, you'd better learn some respect, or I will teach it to you," Zuko said angrily. 

"What do you know about respect?" Lieutenant Jee demanded. "The way you talk to everyone around here, from your hard working crew to your esteemed uncle shows you know nothing about respect. You don't care about anyone but yourself! Then again, what should I expect from a spoiled prince?"

"Zuko," I warned as the two-faced off. 

"Easy now," Iroh said, but they ignored us. 

"That is enough!" I snapped as I separated them. "We have other things to worry about."