twenty-six: Trying

"These are the times that try men's souls."
~ Thomas Paine

"Lady Xia, we weren't expecting you back so soon," the guard said as I walked up. 

"Is it still alright for me to visit him?" I asked the guard carefully. 

"What do you have with you?" The guard questioned.

"Just some tea," I told the guard honestly as I opened up the picnic basket and showed him the teapot and cups. "Jasmine tea is his favorite. And to be quite honest," I added as I leaned closer as if I was telling some great secret, "Jasmine is my favorite as well."

"Well, who am I to deny Lady Xia the pleasure of her favorite kind of tea," the guard said as he let me through. I kept my face forward as I marched past the other prisoners, they all looked at me sadly. It made me want to know why they were banished to the palace prisons. 

"Lady Xia, I thought we agreed you would only visit once a week," Iroh said as I walked up. 

"You agreed, I did not," I told him smartly as I sat down in front of his cell. 

"You'll ruin your clothing," Iroh scolded, but did not argue much as I handed him a cup and began to heat the tea. 

"That's why I wear my old cape," I replied with a smile. "How are they treating you?"

"It could be worse," Iroh said honestly. 

I sighed, I wished I could have him transferred somewhere safer. "At least we can still enjoy the pleasantness of tea." 

"And the pleasant company," Iroh said. "How are you, Xia?"

"Trying to adjust back into life in the palace," I sighed. "It wouldn't be so difficult if my mother would just stop meddling."

"What is Hana doing now?" Iroh asked curiously. 

"She keeps mentioning how she wants to find a suitable spouse for Hina," I said shaking my head. "She's not even twelve yet."

"The same age the young avatar was," Iroh said sadly, but he peered closely at me and I winked at him. "The young are facing so much hardship."

"I think anyone who has been born in the last hundred years has had to face this hardship," I said as I poured us both some tea. "There is not a single-family who has been spared the hardship of the war. Every person's been touched by the war, be it when a family member dies, or from fleeing their home." 

"Many would argue that the Fire Nation has not suffered," Iroh said. 

"They should take a look at Zuko's face then," I muttered. Iroh looked at me, but he didn't ask about his Nephew. 

"They could also look at your family," Iroh said. 

"I can't say my family has been through the worst of it yet," I sighed. 

"What do you mean?" Iroh asked. 

"I've been talking to Hideki," I told Iroh. "He says that Hina is growing up far too fast, that at that age, taking on the weight of the world is not wise." Iroh's eyes widened, and he understood I was talking about Aang. "But unlike many other children, she is alive and thriving." 

"And so she shall remain," Iroh said with a smile. "When will she be coming here to visit?"

"Very soon," I told him. "I'm waiting to hear from Hideki about the extent of the plans."

"I expect you'll be happy to see the child, but not everyone else will be," Iroh said wisely. 

"I'll make sure that even if they're not happy, that they'll put up with it," I told him.