thirty-eight: Scandalized

"For a war to be just three conditions are necessary - public authority, just cause, right motive."

~ Ernest Hemingway

~*~

"Stop staring," Suki teased.

"Can't help it," I shrugged as I watched Zuko training Aang. "He's a good teacher."

"Right, that's the only reason you're staring," Toph scoffed.

Sokka looked at us in confusion, "I'm not sure what you girls are talking about."

"Don't trouble yourself over it," Katara told him as I blushed.

"More ferocious!" Zuko barked at Aang after he released a smaller burst of flames than he was caable. "Imagine striking through your opponent's heart." I cringed at that suggestion as Aang firebended another large tunnel of glames, but Zuko isn't satisfied with it.

"Ugh! I'm trying," Aang complained.

"Now let me hear you roar like a tiger-dillo!" Zuko basically shouted. Aang turned and roared, but it was more like a baby tiger-dillo.

"That sounded pathetic!" Zuko snapped. "I said roar!" That was the push Aang needed, and he roared ferociously. The firebending he produced was stronger and brighter in color.

"Well done!" I called out as Zuko nodded his head in approval.

"Who wants a nice, cool glass of watermelon juice?" Katara called out, and I immediately went to go get some. Aang also wanted some and tried to run over excitedly, except Zuko intercepted him.

"Hey, your lesson's not over yet!" Zuko said as he grabbed the back of Aang's robes. "Get back here."

"Come on, Zuko. Just take a break," Sokka said.

"A small break is always good for the mind," I reminded Zuko, echoing what Iroh had told us. "Though, I think Uncle Iroh just wanted to drink tea."

"What's the big deal?" Sokka asked, and Zuko glowered at him.

"Fine," Zuko allowed as he let Aang go who left a trail of dust in his wake. "If you want to lounge around like a bunch of snail-sloths all day, then go ahead!"

"Maybe Zuko's right," Sokka said as I got up to follow Zuko who was storming off. "Sitting around the house has made us pretty lazy. But I know just the thing to change that. Beach party!"

I sighed, "I don't think that's quite what Zuko had in mind. I ignored the others as they headed to the beach and went searching for Zuko. I found him standing in front of a family portrait he hasn't thrown into a bonfire yet.

"What's wrong?" I asked, but he didn't say anything. So I went and stood next to him, "she'd be proud of you, you know. Your mother would be proud of you for helping train the Avatar."

"He needs to be more serious," Zuko grumbled.

"I think Aang's being lighthearted is because what he's facing is so dark. He needs some light or he'll lose who he is," I said gently. "Remember, he hasn't been out of the ice for that long."

Zuko sighed, "I know he's just a kid. But this all is up to him, he has to defeat my father. If he doesn't..."

"We can always go hide in a swamp," I offered lightly.

"You think Azula wouldn't just hunt us down?" Zuko asked.

"Let her try to hunt us," I said darkly. "The hunter would become the prey."

~*~

"How's Zuko?" Katara asked as I joined her in the deep water.

"Moody, like usual," I said as I let my hair down from the braids. "He's just stressed, and when he's stressed he tries to get as much done as possible. I told him he should meditate and calm down-"