Forty-five

"If anyone would like to—" Flitwick was interrupted when the heavy door to the charms classroom opened, revealing William.

"I'm sorry to disturb, Professor, but the headmaster sent me to get Miss Silverberry."

The class turned to look at me, and once Flitwick motioned for me to go, I grabbed my things and did just that. The door closed behind William and I and I looked up at him to see his jaw tense and his eyes hard.

"Why does Dumbledore need to see me?"

"Dad is here." He breathed heavily. "We had a real nice chat. The man wants to see you. Something about a letter."

Oh shit.

To say that I am scared of my dads anger is an understatement. Especially the silent kind of anger. When he just doesn't say anything and you can feel the anger silently building within him.

That's when you run.

William and I walked in silence until we got to the entrance to Dumbledore's office where dad stood alone, waiting.

"Dumbledore just let him in." William told me as we approached. "Gave him permission to have you pulled out of class. Good luck."

Will sent our dad a glare as he turned to avoid any kind of conversation, leaving me with him.

"What happened to your eye?"

I automatically raised a hand to my eye that Cameron had hit less than a week ago. I then shrugged.

"Walked into a door."

"You walked into... a door?"

"Yep." I nodded. "It hurt like a bitch. Fuck, I'm sorry. I just did it again. Shi—"

I sighed and mentally facepalmed myself. Dad hated it when people swore. He never did it himself. He was as formal and majestic as he looked.

He was currently wearing a plain black suit with shining black boots, his hands pushed into the pockets of his dress pants.

"Walk with me, Allie." He told me and nodded towards the door that led out into the entrance courtyard. I followed him, walking next to him, small and fragile.

William got his height from our dad. Dad is six foot seven. He's the tallest in our family and William is close behind.

"Happy birthday." My dad said and pulled out a small square package from his pocket, handing it to me.

"Uh— thanks." I muttered, looking down at it. I was nervous about what he was gonna say about the letter.

"Seventeen." Dad breathed. "I remember when your mom was pregnant with you. You gave her hell and she gave me hell."

That why you cheated?

"You were never an easy child." He continued. "You wanted things your way, or you'd throw a tantrum. Your mom was the one who knew how to raise you. Me on the other hand — you knew exactly where you had me. You were my first daughter. You were my little princess and I wanted to do everything for your happiness."

He took a deep breath as he fixed his tie, then shoved his hands back into the pockets of his pants.

"I received your letter, Allie. You've got it all wrong."

"I don't."

"Yes you do." He nodded slowly as we got to one of the benches in the courtyard. He sat down and I hesitated before I did as well. "You've got it all wrong, munchkin. I don't discriminate against your brother for being gay."