Muffliato

𝑆𝐼𝑅𝐼𝑈𝑆-

After nightfall, and once James's parents had gone to sleep, the five of us retreated to one of the many balconies that led off the side of the Potter house.

We all sat in camping chairs with blankets over our legs doing various things.
Lily and Remus were talking about the book they both recently finished, I guess they had this sort of book club thing going on.

James was lighting up sparklers because that was a thing he did every year on Christmas.
Juliet sat next to me, with several blankets wrapped around her while she ate a box of cookies.
She seemed oddly distracted, like she was in her own world.
James lit his most recent sparkler, and handed it to me
"Do you know what I don't get?" I asked

"Laid." Remus responded casually while reading a book he had seemingly pulled out of his arse because it hadn't been there a few moments ago.

Juliet, who had still been snacking on her Christmas cookies began to gag, she was somewhere between choking and laughing where she gasped and said "I'm fine, no need to help me or anything"

"Do you want to know why that is Remus?" I asked him, coming up with a genius come back

"Do enlighten me." He said, still entirely focused on his book.

"Because as Juliet just displayed here on this fine evening, she chokes"

Lily gasped.

Juliet looked up at me and threw a cookie which I caught in my mouth perfectly

"That's not the reason asshat!" She shouted

James handed Juliet a sparkler and for a moment I was worried that she was about to set my hair on fire with it, but she knew I was joking.
I had seen a smile creep over her face while no one was watching.
After awhile of sitting out in the cold, I was rather tired and announced that I was going inside
"I'll go with you" Juliet muttered tiredly, grabbing her blankets
I nodded, excited at any opportunity to hang out with Juliet Crescent alone.

The two of us walked silently through the dimly lit hallways of James's house.
I pushed the door of my bedroom open, where pure darkness engulfed my senses.
I knew where the lamp was, so I switched it on, but the light given, wasn't a lot.
The room, now illuminating in a shade of burnt orange was still so dark that shadows formed around every object within the walls
It was a haunting light, but peaceful.
It was so silent in this moment that I could feel my heart, which seemed to be beating outside my chest with no specific reasoning.

Until I realized, she was the reasoning.

Juliet had walked straight over to the large round mirror that hung from the wall.

She looked at herself nervously.
I wanted to know so badly what was going on in that mind of hers, I needed to know.

I hadn't noticed that she'd pulled out a small chain from her pocket, the one I'd given her for Christmas.

I walked up behind her, practically breathing down her neck and took the necklace out of her hands softly.
The girl moved all her hair to one side, with the sweet scent of vanilla filling the air as she did so.

After clasping the chain around her neck, she sighed. It was a heavy sigh, made out of many built up breaths at once.

"Thanks" she mumbled

She played with her hair silently.
She didn't tell me to back away or to leave, I could tell by her body language that despite the silence of the room, her mind was racing, yet she wanted me there.