Stay

When I opened my eyes, we were standing in a dimly lit hallway, Sirius's hand was still in mine, and neither of us had bothered to retract yet.

I noticed the door in front of us, red with a gold number, familiar in a nostalgic way.
Sirius unlocked his door and the two of us were flooded by darkness as we walked together into the apartment, the one boughten years ago when we were desperately in love and dreading the future.
The large living room window provided peaceful moonlight, that illuminated just enough for me to know that Sirius's place had not changed much in the passed few years.
I was surprised that it wasn't a mess, which I immediately pinned on Remus and his motherly habits to pick up after his mates.

The only things astray were a blanket which laid in a heep on the couch and a bunch of books littered on the coffee table.

I remembered the way I used to tease Sirius about my doubt for his ability to even read the alphabet, perhaps he decided to look smart for guests but most likely Remus spent a lot of time here.

I walked towards one of the walls, the wall that had been painted to display a star chart.

I'd remembered it, Sirius Black had added it to the design just for me.

I let my hand drift over the written letters that floated near the Canis Major constellation "J+S were here"

My eyes drifted away, falling upon that of Regulus, a star, and a boy, seemingly forgotten, stirring the question that had been sitting in the back of my mind.

"Sirius."

Without turning around to face him I asked
"What happened to Regulus."

Sirius was silent for a moment, I heard his exhale and his shaky following breaths. Whatever the reason for his brothers absence, only a fool would deny the fact that it was certainly bad news.

"Gone, a few months ago." He spit out at last.
I let my heart break in the moment that followed, I had a soft spot for Regulus Arcturus Black.

"He couldn't find the light could he." I muttered so quietly that Sirius wouldn't be able to hear my conclusion.

"You left and he decided he'd rather be on the dark side after all. He shut us all out, hypocritical little bastard"

I could feel my heart smash into a million pieces for the boy I'd tried to save and for his brother who had resented their not-so-close bond and wished it to be mended.

I part of me didn't want to believe what Sirius was saying as true, Regulus was clever and he was empathetic. He cared for people and he wanted a future for himself.
I wouldn't just accept that he had truly turned back to his roots, but I wouldn't bring Sirius more pain by questioning him.

"in a year some of us might not even be here"
He had once said to me, It hadn't been a year, actually it had been several, and I suppose a part of me hoped Regulus's would be here.
But in the end he was right.
I looked down at my finger, where I used to wear his ring. I still had it, tucked away in a pocket of my trunk.

𝑆𝐼𝑅𝐼𝑈𝑆-

It was only a matter of time before the girl asked of my brother, I would not break here. Not when Juliet was standing before me, amongst the stars as she always seemed to be.
My thumb drifted over the messy crescent moon on my wrist as I always did when she crossed my mind, however now she was here, and not half a world away.