Chapter 14: Curiosity Leads to Crying

I have been staying with Matt and his family for over a month now. I will never want to leave, and I'm glad that Mallory loves it here just as much as I do. I have also never been more in love with Matt. Right, I am checking him out while he fixes a fence in a pair of jeans and no shirt.

He catches me staring at him and he smirks. "What are you looking at there, beautiful?"

"Just watching my handsome man."

"This handsome man could use a shower.... care to join?" He takes my hand and leads me inside the house.

Soon, my back is pressed against the bathroom door as Matt kisses with passion. I let out a moan when he trails his lips down my sweet spot. We strip out of our clothes and step into the shower. A stream of cold water hits my back and I yelp in shock.

"Sorry." Matt turns the shower knob and makes the water hotter. "Better?" He asks and pulls me into a kiss.

"Much better." I answer against his lips.

After our very steamy shower session, we start getting dressed and head downstairs.

Mallory is sitting on the couch with Amy. "Mommy!" she yells and runs into my arms.

"What is going on sweetie?"

"I did it! I rode a pony all by myself!"

"It's true, she held the reins and everything." Amy says.

"Awe! I am so proud of you!" I smother my little angel with kisses.

"Hey mommy?"

"Yeah?"

"When am I going to meet daddy?"

I was hoping to avoid this conversation. "Why do you want to meet him?"

"Miss Amy was telling me about Liz's daddy."

An awkward silence falls around us and I see Amy leave the room so I can talk with my daughter. I sit down next to her on the couch and Matt joins us. He holds my hand as I talk with her. "Mallory, I want you to understand that while you share DNA with that man, he is not and will never be your dad."

"Are you angry at me Mommy?"

"No sweetie, I just want you to know that he's not family."

"Why?"

"He's a bad man who did bad things."

"What did he do?"

I whisper to Matt. "I can't.... I can't tell her."

"Do you want me to?"

I nod and get up from the couch. I walk into the kitchen while Matt talks with her.

"Is Mommy upset?"

"She'll be fine. Listen, your father hurt a lot of people and your Mommy doesn't like to talk about it."

"Why? Did he hurt Mommy? If he did, I'll hurt him even more."

I start tearing up as I hear them, especially Mallory. Where did that anger even come from? She's only seven.

"Um....okay. I'll answer that question when you're older, or maybe your mom will."

"Where is he? Is he with the bad people behind bars, like jail?"

"What.... how do you know what that is?"

"I watch cop shows with Liz."

"Of course, you do."

"Since papa is in jail, can you be my new dad?"

My eyes widen in shock, and I turn around and lock eyes with Matt. He breaks eye contact and looks down at Mallory. "I.... I am fine with being Mr. Cowboy."