Chapter 6: Mixed Feelings

Day three of staying with the Greens and things are different.... they are becoming more and more like a family that I want to be a part of but can't. I'm even more confused about my feelings towards Matt. I like him, I do, but sometimes I think he only likes me out of pity, especially after last night. Maybe it would be best if we just kept being friends and nothing more.

After I ate breakfast with the Greens, I washed the dishes. I hear footsteps and I see Matt out of the corner of my eye. An awkward silence falls between us as he leans against the counter.

"Hey."

"Hi." I say without looking at him.

I hear him let out a sigh. "Okay....I'm going to say something since you won't. You have been avoiding me all this morning and now you won't even look at me or talk to me. What did I do wrong?"

"Nothing."

"It doesn't feel like nothing." He pauses. "You know I like you.... right?"

"As a friend?" I ask, washing the last plate.

"Come on, really? I don't think friends try to flirt with each other."

I turn around and finally look at him. "Is it out of pity?"

He looks confused. "What?"

"This thing that has been going on between us....is it out of pity?"

"No, it's out of admiration."

"Really, then what do you admire about me?" I ask as I cross my arms.

"I admire the fact that you are an amazing mom."

"You already told me that."

He takes a step towards me. "I admire your tough and fiery personality." He takes another step. "I admire the fact that you choose to work around here instead of trying to live here rent free." Another step. "I admire that you had a terrible past and came out even stronger."

I start to blush and think, that's so corny but also sweet. "What else?"

He takes one last and final step, until I'm backed into the counter. "And I admire your control." He says with a hint of lust in his eyes.

"Control over what?"

He leans closer to me, and my heart starts to beat faster. "Your feelings towards me."

"Feelings? And what exactly are these feelings?"

He tucks a strand of hair behind my ear and whispers close enough that I can feel his warm breath against my cheek. "You tell me.... Tessa."

What is this man doing to me?

Matt smirks at my blushing reaction. I stare into his eyes for a few seconds, then I look down at his lips that I am just dying to kiss. I'm about to give in when-

"Mommy!" Mallory shouts as she comes running down the stairs.

I walk past Matt and over to her. "Hey sweetie. What is it?"

"I wanna go pony riding."

I look over at Matt. "Is that okay with you?"

"Only if you join us." He says with a smirk.

After what just almost happened in the kitchen, I would rather not. But...it would be nice to get out of this crowded house for a while. Mallory could be a buffer.... or maybe I get over my, whatever my feelings are towards Matt once I see how terrible of a rider he is.

I start to debate my options and I make up my mind. "How about this, Mallory can go now, and I will go later."

"Just you and me?" Matt asks with a wide smile.

"Yep."

"Sounds like a date." He says as he starts to leave.

"I didn't agree to that!"

"Too late!"