Chapter 7: The gift

I don't know what Tessa went through, but the moment that I laid my eyes on her, I just felt this sudden need and urge to protect her and Mallory. Every second I spend with Tessa, that need grows only more and more.... I think I'm falling for her. It sucks that Tessa and Mallory have to leave in four days. I like spending time with Mallory, she's a sweet kid. I took Mallory riding out earlier today. Now, I am taking Tessa riding at sunset...the perfect date.

"Ready?" I ask as we stand near the horse stables.

"Is this okay?" Tessa asks as she gestures to her clothes. She is wearing a red button up that hugs her curves, a leather belt, and jeans with a few tears in them. I notice the eyeshadow she is wearing brings out the blue in her eyes, and her gorgeous brown hair is pulled back into a ponytail. I also notice the cowboy hat she is wearing; it's one of mine.

I smile. "It's perfect, you are perfect," I say in a whisper.

"What was that?"

"I said you look nice."

"Thanks."

We walk over to the stables. I gesture to one horse. "This is Peanut, I will be riding him. You will be riding Bella." I gesture to the other horse.

"She is beautiful."

We get saddled up in silence and ride out into the country. "This view is stunning. I wish I had my camera."

Talk about perfect timing. "Oh, yeah...about that."

"What did you do?"

"I was waiting to give you this later as a going away gift.... but now it seems perfect." I dig around in my jeans pocket until my hand lands on the camera.

"Oh?" I handed her the digital camera I bought her. "Oh! Thank you!" She gets off her horse and I get off mine.

"You are-"

She pulls me into a hug. "Thank you.... you have no idea how much this means to me."

I hug her back and think, you have no idea how much you mean to me. "Well...go ahead...take a picture."

CLICK!

"Wow! The view is amazing!"

"You are amazing."

"Matt... what did I say about flirting?"

"I can't help it if it's true."

"Such a smooth talker."

"That's why they call me, Mr. Smooth." I wink.

She laughs and it's the most gorgeous sound I have ever heard. The sky is turning black, and the stars are starting to come out. "We should head back."

I sigh. "Yeah, I guess so." We head back and guide the horses back to their stalls, then we walk back inside the house.

We walk up the stairs and she stands outside the guest bedroom door. "I had fun."

"Me too." I know I should leave and enjoy the time we had spent together, but I can't help myself when it comes to her. "Hey, we are throwing a bonfire tomorrow night to celebrate Jackson's win at the rodeo. I promise it will be just us siblings. You can come too, if you want."

"A bonfire huh? Well, now that sounds like a date."

"A friend date."

"Maybe."

"I'll take your maybe." I give her a smirk and stare at her for a few seconds.

A blush dances across her cheeks. "What?"

"Maybe we can finish what we started in the kitchen."

"Matt."

"Yes?"

"I leave in four days."

"And?"

"And I can't get attached and neither can Mallory, you know that."

I can't help but smile. "So, you admit it.... you are getting attached."

"Goodnight."

"Goodnight....Sparky" I wink and walk away.

"Wait."

I turn back around and walk back over to her. "Yes?"

"I forgot something." She says and bites her lip.

"What would that be?"

"This." She pulls me by the collar and presses her lips against mine.

At first, I feel shocked but then I start to kiss her back. She tries to pull away and end it, but I won't let her. I wrap an arm around her waist and pull her close. She runs her hands through my hair as our tongues collide and I caress her cheek with my hand. We don't stop kissing till we pull away to catch our breath. We stare into each other's eyes with a mix of uncertainty and lust.

She takes a step back and whispers, "Goodnight...Matt."

I feel disappointed at the confused look on her face, but at least I got a kiss from her. "Goodnight...Tessa" I say as she goes into the guest room. Well, now I can't let her leave. I had a taste and needed more. I have to convince her to stay. And I know just how I am going to do it.

 And I know just how I am going to do it