Chapter 15: Bad News

All that planning for the future talk had me worried. I couldn't think about losing her, I love her too much to even fathom it. Right now, I am cuddling my amazing girlfriend and watching tv while Mallory is sleeping in her room.

KNOCK.

KNOCK.

KNOCK.

"Coming!" I go to open the door. I am greeted with two policemen. "Hello, how can I help you?"

"I am Officer Brown. This is my partner, Officer William," says the woman.

"Can we come inside?" asks the man.

"Sure." I let them inside the house.

"Who is it?" Tessa asks.

"Um, police officers."

"What?" She gets up and stands next to me. I look over at her and she looks terrified. I remember that Tessa doesn't like cops and she hides behind me.

"Hi, you must be Tessa Harrison. Right?" Officer Brown asks.

I shield her behind me and speak for her. "How do you know her?"

"We have been watching her parents for a while," says Officer William.

"And?"

"Mr. Harrison was killed in a shootout, and Mrs. Harrison is in prison." Officer Brown answers.

"What about Hunter?" I ask.

"Currently on the run, but we are close to catching him."

"And....my brother?" Tessa asks.

Officer Brown sighs. "Um...he...didn't make it."

"No!" Tessa starts crying and I turn around to hold her in my arms.

"Sorry for your loss, just thought you should know that it is safe to come out from hiding now." Officer Brown says.

"Who are you?" Tessa asks with teary eyes.

"You may not remember me, but do you remember my mother? Dr. Brown?" She asks.

"You...you are her daughter?" Tessa asks.

"Yes."

"Who is Dr. Brown?" I ask.

"She helped me deliver Mallory." Tessa answers.

"Oh....you named her after my mother?" Officer Brown asks.

"Yes."

Now, Officer Brown starts crying. "Sorry...this is so unprofessional...I lost my mom two years ago."

"Come here." Tessa pulls away from me and pulls her into a hug.

Officer William coughs and they pull away from the hug.

"Sorry." Officer Brown says.

"So, am I safe?" Tessa asks.

"Yes, Tessa, you are safe. If you need anything, don't hesitate to call." She hands Tessa a card and the officers start making their way to the door.

"Goodnight," says Officer William.

"Goodnight," says Officer Brown.

"Goodnight."

After they leave, Tessa collapses on the floor. I hold her in my arms as she cries her heart out. I hold her tight and rub soothing circles on her back. I kiss her forehead and thank heaven above that my girl is safe and here in my arms.