CHAPTER 12: ROSELLA ROBERT: Meet the Billionarie's daughter

CHAPTER 12: ROSELLA ROBERT: Meet the Billionaire’s daughter

A knot of unease twisted in Rex's gut as the Mercedes navigated a labyrinth of unfamiliar streets. "We've been turning around quite a bit, haven't we?" he ventured, his voice laced with a hint of suspicion.

Rosella, a playful smile dancing on her lips, turned to him with a teasing glint in her eyes. "Why, must you involve our dear Javier in everything, Rex?"

The question, dripping with veiled meaning, sent a shiver down Rex's spine. Her smile, usually charming, now seemed eerily predatory. Instinctively, he reached for her hand, seeking reassurance.

Rosella's grip tightened, her fingers digging into his palm. "Let go, Rex," she commanded, her voice a low growl. "While I'm still feeling merciful, that is."

Her playful demeanor had vanished, replaced by a chilling intensity. The scar on her face, usually hidden in the shadows, seemed to writhe under the dim dashboard light, adding to the unsettling atmosphere. Rex's heart hammered against his ribs, a primal fear taking hold.

He closed his eyes, forcing himself to breathe deeply. His mother's voice echoed in his mind, calm and resolute: "Face adversity with composure, son." Remembering her words, he slowly released Rosella's hand, forcing a smile onto his face.

"Alright, you win," he admitted, folding his hands in mock surrender. "Where are we headed?"

Rosella's smile returned, but it held a dangerous edge. "That, my dear Rex, is a secret you'll only discover upon arrival."

Panic warred with curiosity within him. Was he a willing participant in some elaborate scheme, or a helpless pawn in Rosella's enigmatic game? As the car sped towards its unknown destination.

*****************************************

A kaleidoscope of confusion swirled in Elsa's mind as she exited the attic. She needed answers, and her grandmother, with her wisdom and unwavering love, felt like the perfect anchor in this storm of uncertainty. Stepping into the familiar warmth of her grandmother's sitting room, she called out, "Granny?"

No answer. Disappointment flickered in her eyes as she ventured into the bedroom, a familiar haven filled with the soothing scent of vanilla and lavender. She gently knocked on the door.

"Come in, child," a kind voice called out. Relief washed over Elsa as she pushed open the door. Her grandmother, her features etched with age and grace, sat on the edge of the bed, patting the space beside her.

"Grandma Wura," Elsa sighed, collapsing onto the soft bedding. Though not related by blood, Grandma Wura had nurtured her father like her own, sharing stories of her African heritage and guiding him through life's storms. For Elsa, she was more than just a grandmother; she was a confidante, a keeper of secrets, and a font of strength.

Grandma Wura observed her silently, her eyes crinkled with concern. "For heaven's sake, Elsa," she chuckled, "you've been staring at that wall for ages. What troubles your heart, child?"

Elsa pouted playfully. "What if I just wanted to greet you, Granny? You make it sound like I only visit when I'm burdened."

Grandma Wura's eyes twinkled with amusement. "A young woman with a heavy heart can't hide it even from a blind one, let alone an old woman like me," she countered, rising to fetch a chilled glass of water and her signature dark brown candy.

Elsa accepted the sweet treat with a grateful smile. "Thank you, Granny."

Grandma Wura settled back beside her, her gaze unwavering. "Now, spill the beans. What's weighing you down? Or are you still playing coy?"