CHAPTER 10: NIGHT MISSION II

"Zoe, we don't have time for this!" Veronica called from downstairs.

Panic rising, Zoe walked down the stairs, casting Elsa a worried glance. What had she done?

"V, can you come here?" she pleaded.

Veronica rushed down, her concerned gaze flitting between Zoe and Elsa. "Elsa?" she murmured, kneeling beside the trembling girl. "Ells, please say something."

But Elsa remained silent, her body shaking with silent sobs.

Suddenly, Javier appeared. "Veronica, Elsa's heartbeat is faint, and she's losing color. Call an ambulance!"

Zoe stood frozen, her mind reeling. How had everything gone so wrong so quickly?

As Elsa was rushed to her room and hooked up to machines, Zoe felt a wave of relief wash over her. Thank goodness they were acting quickly. But one question still gnawed at her: what had caused Elsa's sudden breakdown, and did it have anything to do with Zoe?

In the chaos that followed, Zoe learned that Veronica had taken emergency medical courses, explaining her presence beside Elsa. 

“Is she okay?” Zoe echoed, her voice thick with concern.

“Yes, she’s okay,” Javier assured them. “Just went into shock. She’ll be fine.”

“She was crying when I saw her,” Zoe explained, recounting the events leading up to the crisis. “I hit the door to try and… help her.”

Rex watched silently as she spoke, but when she mentioned Elsa fainting after coming out of the room, he shot her a questioning look. Zoe ignored it, her mind still grappling with the conversation she’d witnessed between Elsa and Rex earlier.

“We were about to leave when she started shouting at me not to touch her,” Zoe continued, her voice trembling slightly. “I backed away, but she just kept crying and hugging herself. Then, all of a sudden, she stood up and told us to let go. I thought I was hallucinating.”

She finished her account, but her gaze lingered on Rex, her accusatory tone evident. “But I really want to know what you two talked about,” she added, pointing at him.

Rex raised an eyebrow coolly, his hands disappearing into his pockets. “Nothing important,” he said nonchalantly.

This prompted Bobby to raise an eyebrow of his own. “Dude?” he questioned, disbelief laced in his voice.

“Fine,” Bobby conceded, turning to walk back into the room.

“Really?” Zoe echoed, still unconvinced.

President Montez’s stern voice cut through the tension. “Young lady, this is no time for accusations. Our focus now is Elsa’s well-being.”

The accusation hung heavy in the air, Zoe's voice ringing with barely restrained fury. Eyes widened, mouths gaped, and President Montez cleared his throat, attempting to regain control of the chaos. But Zoe was a runaway train, her anger fueled by fear and suspicion.

Jayce, ever the peacemaker, stepped in, his voice tinged with disapproval. "Zoe, that's no way to address the President."

But Zoe, blinded by rage, saw only Rex, his nonchalance an insult to Elsa's suffering. "And who are you to lecture me, Jayce? I'm not blind, I know who he is!" she spat, her words dripping with venom.

Veronica, sensing the rising tide of conflict, reached out to touch Zoe's shoulder, but the younger woman brushed her off, her gaze fixed on the elevator doors. Her retreat was met by another blow, her father's voice tinged with disappointment. "Veronica's right, Zoe. You wouldn't talk to your mother like that."