CHAPTER 17: THE PARTY

|When you are sad, all you need is a light of happiness and it could be in a human form|

November 5th, 2021, Friday

"Mom, I'm finished!" Lillian called out to her mother.

Lillian opened the door to Veronica's room, scrutinizing her mother for a moment. She knew Veronica was lost in thought again. It pained Lillian. She understood her mother's loneliness, even with her by her side. Lillian also knew Veronica missed Aunt Zoe and Aunt Elsa, but for reasons unknown, Veronica had chosen not to speak of them. Loathing her mother's sadness, Lillian decided to capitalize on her upcoming birthday by making three wishes. Veronica had promised to grant only three, and one of them was to attend a grand model party.

"Mom?" Lillian approached Veronica, gently touching her cheek to draw her attention.

V

eronica blinked, focusing on her daughter. She grasped Lillian's shoulder, gently pushing her back to admire her outfit. It mirrored Veronica's own: a long, fitted black and gold gown. The off-the-shoulder design showcased their beautiful dark skin. Both gowns had front slits, Veronica's reaching her thigh, Lillian's ending at her knee. They carried identical gold purses and black heels accented with gold. The only distinction was Veronica's makeup, absent on Lillian's face. Even their hair was styled identically in bridal updos. They were the picture of twins.

"You look exquisite, sweetheart," Veronica said, causing Lillian to blush.

"You look stunning as always, Mom. The gown truly accentuates your figure," Lillian winked, leaving Veronica speechless with surprise.

"Who on earth is teaching you all this?" Veronica stammered after recovering from her shock.

"Do you genuinely want to know?" Lillian raised an eyebrow playfully.

"Don't sass me, young lady," Veronica squinted at her daughter, bewildered about the source of her newfound knowledge.

"Mom, come on, I'm six, not two. I'm not a baby anymore, you know. Besides, if I start explaining everything now, we'll be late and miss the party altogether," Lillian pouted, softening Veronica's gaze.

"Alright, alright, let's go." Veronica retrieved her customized gold card from her makeup table, slipping it into her purse alongside her phone. She took Lillian's hand and headed for the largest room in the house besides the master bedroom - Veronica's opulent sitting room.

The room exuded comfort and screamed wealth. Black leather couches sat nestled together, a glass table adorned with various antiques taking center stage on a red, black, and white rug - Veronica's favorite color scheme. Artwork adorned the white walls, nestled beside picture frames. A red electric massage chair stood sentinel on the right side of the room. The couches faced a built-in 164-inch smart television flanked by speakers. Four windows were draped in white and red cotton curtains. Behind the couches sat Lillian's blue table and chair set, where she sometimes did her homework or read, as it was closer to the kitchen where Veronica could offer assistance. The study room, the last room before the indoor pool and gym, felt more isolated. Though a simple three-bedroom duplex, the house possessed a luxurious and spacious atmosphere.