Thirty

'Could you quit it? Stop. I'm dead serious' Kaycee grumbled, pushing Sean's pen away from her note pad. 'Stop writing on my notes'. Her face was stoic with a few loose strands of curls falling in front of her eyes, as she continued telling the black haired boy off. 

'Why aren't you talking to me?' He whined, resting his head on his hands as he stared up at the girl.

'It's nothing new, Lew'.

Boredom was an invitation for the brain to play, to let the self soak into a moment and see the richness in the minute subtlety life offers. But at this point, he had tried everything. Staring at the ceiling. Writing. Pestering his partner. Drumming in the table. Nothing seemed to cure him of his boredom in class.

'I'm bored' he spoke up again, sitting up straight as he brushed his fingers through his hair.

'I really should start treasuring the time I don't spend with you' Kaycee huffed, turning her back to him as she continued writing down her notes.

'She gave us time to work on our project together. Not separately' he tried, poking her elbow.

'Then why aren't your working. I swear to God, Lew. We need to get this done, so please stop winging'.

As their biology teacher had stated, their science project was due for the end of this week. Neither Sean not Kaycee was finished, and they were assuming the same thing went for everyone in the class. But after receiving far too many emails, as the older woman stated, the biology teacher agreed that she would give them time in class to work on it. Kaycee wasn't sure if it was because the teacher wanted her class's work to be the best or because she could have possibly been high. But either way, she wasn't complaining. 

So, the biology teacher allowed them to work in class, even allowing them to talk-using their indoor voices- between themselves.

'I don't know what I'm supposed to do. You're not even talking to me'.

'You should know what you're supposed to do. This is our project, Lew. Not mine.'

'This is our project, not mine' he mimicked in a high pitch voice, as he received a cold stare from the brunette. 

'Stop mimicking me and get to work' Kaycee huffed, leaning forward as she speedily wrote down some notes. Sean threw his hands in the air, a frustrated breath falling from his lips as he leaned his cheek onto his palm and stared at the girl.

He batted his lashes, one brow quirked upwards. His eye softened as he let the, trace over the features on her face. She had a light shade of blush on her cheeks and Sean could only hope that he was the reason for it.

To Sean, everyone always seemed to be talking about the intimacy of eye contact, but he always wondered if anyone thought about the intimacy of looking at someone's eyes while they were looking at something else—either because they're distracted or they're deliberately allowing you to have this moment to yourself, or because they know that it'll be too much to look back directly-and the thought of the brunette feeling this way made his heart skip a beat.

Eventually, his gazing must have been too much for the brunette as she scowled at the boy, 'Stop staring at me, please'.

The black haired boy had to bite his lips to stifle a laugh. 'Oh, we have manners now, don't we?' He joked, nudging her elbow as Kaycee's hand directed the pen across the page, creating a black  line across it.

'You idio-Lew' she muttered under her breath as she clenched her jaws. 

'I didn't mean to, sorry. I genuinely didn't mean to' he apologized, grabbing the correction fluid from his pencil case and taking Kaycee's notes.