Fourteen

'Oh come on, rice. Grow a pair of ears and just listen to me for Goddamn's sake.' Sean groaned, swiveling on his chair befor he looked at her directly in the eyes.

'No. You listen to me'.

The two had been bickering for exactly twenty minutes now. And if Kaycee could blame anyone, for once it wouldn't be Sean. It was actually their sub, she had just announced that they would be taking a pause from working on their projects during class time and that instead they had to complete it during their free time at home. Those who were paired up with their 'crushes' were internally screaming with delight at this-Kaycee knew Bailey was. 

But for these two students and their constant arguing it was hard to say the same.

'Why can't you ome over to my dorm to work on it?' Sean questioned, crossing his arms on the table.

'Because I don't want to' Kaycee snapped incredulously as of it wasn't the most obvious thing in the entire world. 'I don't want to go over to the place you live'.

'That's just plain rude!'

'I don't care. Do I look like I care? Look Lew, just come around to mine and it's all settled' the brunette tried, lowering her voice and speaking more calmly.

'No, you're the one who's been bossy and have been making all the decisions, just let me do my thing now' he huffed, trying to reason with the girl.

Kaycee paused to think, swirling her tongue inside her mouth. 'My mom always told me to never go anywhere with strangers. And my dad told me to never listen to assholes'.

Sean blew out a frustrated breath. 'God, Rice. What's the worst that can happen? Do you think I'm gonna kidnap you or something? Cause trust me nobody would wants to kidnap you, especially me!'

'Hey, that's not nice! I'm kidnap worthy' The brunette mumbled.

Sean dragged a hand down his face. 'We're not-I. I'm staying at my dorm. I'll send you the address if you want, but I'm not moving or going to yours. Trust me.' 

Kaycee cursed profanities under her breath, turning away to the side. 'Rude'. 

Sean sighed, biting the inside of his lips before he tapped the girls shoulder. 'I'm not trying to get  on your 'even worse' bad side. I just-I just want you to listen to me for once'.

'You seriously expect me to listen to your meaningless opinions?' 

'Kaycee, please just come around to my dorm and we can try finishing the project-'  Sean started before she raised a finger and cut him off mid speech.

'What did you just call me?' She said, her tone coming out slightly offended.

'Kaycee? That is your name, right? Unless you wat me to call you a bitch, because I'm all for that' he rolled his eyes, brushing his fingers through his hair.

'Ew, you make my name sound like shit' Kaycee grumbled, scrunching up her nose. 

'At least, I can listen' Sean shook his head, clenching his jaws tightly before turning to the side away from her.

Kaycee's stomach churned and she felt like she was being punched in the stomach, and it was going in slow motion-the pain felt never ending. Her morals started to kick in and she knew that the right thing to do was to apologize of some sort but she couldn't bring herself to do that when her mind replayed yesterday's day dream and her flushed cheeks.

She couldn't go soft around him.

'So my dorm it is...' Kaycee trailed off, hoping he would snap at her for stating that after he clearly said that it would be at his dorm. She discreetly peeked over his shoulder, only to catch him doodling on his worksheet. 'So...we should start making progress on our project' she tried again, drumming her fingers on the table.

Silence.

Kaycee tried to shake away the feeling that was now ringing all over her body, the silence-between them-pressing in on her and only adding to her pain. 'Lew...Lets start'.

'You can if you want' he muttered, loud enough for her to hear.

Kaycee pretended to cough to get his attention. 'This is our project, Lew. You're the one who told me that!'.

'Well, maybe I take it back' 

'Stop being annoying. Today's the last class we get to work on this, so let's just make the most of it'.

'I was trying to work on it' he snapped, turning to meet her gaze. 'I was trying to. But you wouldn't even listen to me!'. If they were in an animated show or movie, Kaycee was sure that steam would have poured out of Sean's ears and that his face would have heated up with anger. 

'Let's just move on from that and try finishing this part' she pointed to the blank space half way down the page. 'Any ideas?'

The boy shrugged his shoulders, his eyes traveling up from the page until they landed on her face. He examined every feature of her face-from her upturned smile, the dimple located under her eye, her big, hazel eyes and her button nose. He cocked his head to get a better view before blurting out, 'Why don't you wear makeup?'.

'So now you want to talk, huh?' She raised a brow, not taking his question into consideration.

'Why don't you, though? I'm not saying you need it or anything, but why don't you when everyone else does?'

His questions and rather clam tone took her by surprise and the way he was staring at her surely wasn't helping the heat rising onto her neck. 'I don't know. I just don't. I'm here to study not to walk on the red carpet'. 

Sean nodded his head for her to continue. 'I'm not looking to impress anyone. I don't give a shit about what anybody else thinks-'

'I know' Sean chuckled. 'I still remember when we were in third grade and you pushed me off my bike because you apparently didn't want my opinion'. 

'Blame my temper tantrums. I was young' Kaycee laughed. Her giggle rolled about the room like a child's spinning top, vibrant and heart warming as it moved around the people in its chaotic way. It came in fits and bursts - loud to soft to nothing at all and back to loud again. 

It was as if there was an invisible feather at Sean's nape brushing softly; he squirmed and raised his shoulders to hide to stop the shivers. 

'Look at us. Talking nicely and all' Sean nudged her shoulders playfully before her lips dipped bal down into a frown.

'That was a one time thing and if you tell anyone about that, then I will kill you' Kaycee warned him, a warm shade of blush tinting her cheeks.

'What if I tell them you were blushing. What will you do then?' He joked, before receiving too firm  punches on his left arm.

'You're a hundred times worse than those fucking double YouTube ads at this point!' 

AN|

Hey guys! How are y'all?

I hope you enjoyed reading this! It's kind of-a little bit all over the place with emotions.

Ah, the baby turns 19 today. Can you believe it? It's literally the most heartwarming and exciting thing to see Sean grow up into the person he is today. I'm still in shock that he's growing up so fast lol. Time flies...

Also, I can't wait for Kaycee's birthday post for him. Today's just a great day!

QOTD: What is a part of your culture that you're most proud of? Well, if you didn't know I'm from India (but I moved to Ireland). So the thing I'm most proud of would probably be clothing. It's just so beautiful imo and I love it (though it can get hot and itchy inside it lol).

❤️❤️❤️

Don't forget to comment, vote follow and share

Love you guys,

XXX