Three

The black sky cast darkness upon the students sitting inside the uni corridors. The fluffy cotton candy like clouds were gone and replaced with tiny shimmering stars illuminating the dark sky along with a crescent moon, shining right through the window.

In the dark halls, even the ticking of a clock had a relaxed feeling, as if it was a heart-beat at rest. Kaycee felt as if the air moved like cool water and the aroma of the cafeteria lunches and the toilets infused to create an unpleasant smell. 

'Remind me why we're still here' Bailey groaned, her back leaned against the wall as Kaycee hung up posters on each cork board, door and available space.

'The professor asked me to hang up these up for science week and I'm gonna do it. I just don't want to be alone' she shrugged, biting off the tape with her teeth before sticking yet another page into the wall.

'You could have asked Tay or Jenna' Bailey complained, bringing her knees up to her chest as she hugged her body for added warmth.

'They both go to sleep early. I didn't want to ruin their routine' Kaycee mumbled. One of her hands was holding the poster up against the wall and the other was struggling to rip tape off as she used her feet to balance on the small wooden chair.

Bailey groaned audibly loud, using her fists to pound on the floor playfully. 'I can't belive I agreed, though. I hate uni and to think I said yes to spending extra hours here with you'.

'Thanks Bai' Kaycee giggled. She squinted her eyes, smoothing down the surface and making sure there was no air bubbles before jumping off the chair she was standing on due to her not so tall height. 'All done' she clapped her hands quietly, dusting off her shirt for any dusty plaster that had fallen off the wall.

'Finally we can go' Bailey chirped, heaving herself up.

'You go ahead to the dorm, I need to put chair and tape back in the computer room' the brunette smiled, lifting the chair up easily with one hand. Bailey nodded her head, giving Kaycee a small wave before the two friends split ways.

There had been numerous stories she heard of her uni being haunted with ghosts or having dead people resurrect at night. It was all a stupid story or superstition, if you must, but as she walked through the dark corridors alone, she had silently prayed that she would be okay, as she walked faster than her usual pace. With one chair and tape in hand it was a slight struggle but fear was entering her body as she briskly walked to the room.

A sigh of relief left her lips as she approached the door. She adjusted the items in her hand before kicking the door open with her foot while the other hand reached for the light switch. 

'You're still alive, Kaycee' she thought aloud to herself as the lights flickered on. But she was sure she would be no more, as a body collided onto hers and a scream fell from her lips.

                        ___________________________

When Kaycee was around eight or nine she had fallen of her bike during her ride back home from school. Her bike had toppled over to one side before her body crashed down onto the rocky pavement. The impact was enough to send cold, hard shivers down her back as her chest heaved up and down for air.

That's how she felt right now. A silent scream fell from her lips as she pushed the body away from her. She couldn't breath, it felt as if someone was choking her. Her heart was racing and all she wanted to do was curl up into a ball and wait for someone to save her. But no one would, no one was there. A choked scream for help forced itself up her throat, and she felt a drop run down her cheek.