Twenty Four

Sean dragged Kaycee out of the house, holding onto her wrist gently as the cool air hit their faces and a shiver ran down their spines. In the darkness of the night sky, Kaycee eyed their hands that were slightly touching, smiling shyly to herself before she pulled away in mild horror.

'Let go of me, Lew!' She shrieked, a soft shade of blush rising on her cheeks. Thank goodness, it was to dark to tell.

'Oh right, sorry' he scratched the back of his neck awkwardly, pocketing his hands in his hoodie as he rocked on the spot. 'Where do you want to go?'.

'Somewhere to eat...that's what you said, right?' Kaycee stammered, rubbing her wrist with her fingers. Sean nodded his head in agreement, walking ahead without another word. If there weren't any street lamps down the street, she probably wouldn't have even known he had left.

The two walked silently in a single file, Kaycee following behind him as her eyes focused on his back. 'So...where to exactly?' Kaycee breathed out, her breath creating a smoke like effect in the air.

'The library, maybe. There's a cafe beside it' Sean suggested, kicking a pebble across the pathway.

'You want me to go to a library? The place with books? Yeah, no thanks' Kaycee scrunched her face up, turning his offer down.

'You liked it when we were kids, how much has really changed?'

'I-you don't know me' Kaycee croaked out, speeding up her steps so she came to stand by him.

'I've known you for like ten years, Rice. You learn a lot in that time' Sean bounced his shoulders up, not stopping to talk with the girl.

'You know who I am. But you don't know me. There's a difference' Kaycee started. 'I'm not a fan of libraries anymore'.

'Well, we're going to one right now. So you can either enjoy it or hate it. Your choice' he muttered, picking up his pace as he turned the corner. Kaycee blew out a heavy breath, pausing for a minute before following close behind him while cursing profanities under her breath.

She coked her head to the side, watching each person on the paths with their head down and moving at maximum speed. Those with umbrellas and rain jackets, flowy  dresses and leather jackets all huddled together as a group. The sound of feet on wet paving stones was almost lost against the splashing of the traffic, only the click of high heels still clear. The usual smell of the fumes was dampened by the hazy drops and winger leaves.

If it were ten years ago, the two students would have smiled while they walked, catching up on the others favorites but now there was silence between the two and rising tension and awkwardness.

'It's cold out. You can stay in the library  and I'll get something to eat. The café doesn't do in-eating after nine. And there's a corner down the back-in the library-where we can eat and talk' he stated, his back facing her 'Just tell me what you want to order'.

'I'm coming with you' Kaycee said incredulously.

'It's cold, I just said that-'

'And? What if you get my order wrong? I'd rather be cold than hungry' she huffed silently, before walking off-without the boy-to the café

In the morning, this cafe was the colour of supermarket orange. It had that shiny look, and the jazz poured out of the open doors along with the aroma of freshly baked buns. But now that it's almost tomorrow and the light of the day had been replaced by the unrelenting blackness of night, the frontage is as grey as the smooth concrete sidewalk at Kaycee's feet. Kaycee took in a deep breath, sucking in the air that carried a hint of dampness and heavy pollution of the night-time traffic.