Ten

Before I knew it, the weekend was over and it was Monday once again. I hadn't seen or heard from Kaito since Saturday morning. Two whole days in silent agony and I felt like I would burst. I needed to talk to him, and soon.

"Hey, Meiko," Haku's voice snapped me out of my thoughts. "Sorry I couldn't invite you out to the bar last weekend."

"Oh, that's alright. I was kinda busy anyway," I responded. And it wasn't a lie, I was busy... thinking about Kaito.

She leaned over the cubicle. "Yeah, but we haven't talked since I got that promotion last week. I just wanted to make sure you weren't upset, because it isn't personal or anything. I was kinda busy too."

"Nah, I'm not," I shook my head. "We're still friends."

Neither of us had ever used that word for each other, friend, but she glossed over it. "We can go this weekend if you want, anything works for me."

"Uhhh... I know I'm free most of the time, but I'll have to see." You never know when Luka would plan some wacky family outing. Or maybe, if I was lucky, I could hang out with Kaito. But never in a million years would I tell Haku that I wanted to do something like that.

She nodded. "'Kay. Just wanted to check there weren't any hard feelings between us, since I'm not in this department anymore."

"Nope, no hard feelings. I'm glad you got the promotion." I would rather it be her than some random person. Haku worked just as hard as I did.

She beamed. "Well, thanks. I better get back now, just let me know what you decide to do. I actually really like going to the bar with you."

"So do I," I smiled back. It was good to have other friends than just Luka, who was so much more than that to me, or Kaito, who was... a guy. Kind of a cute one, too. Not that I would tell him that. No, Haku was a friend and simply that. Nothing more and nothing less and I liked it that way.

By that afternoon, there was nothing more I wanted to do than go to that ice cream shop and see him. So, I sent Kaito a text that stated I had to talk to him. Before long, I got my reply.

Meet me behind the ice cream shop once you get off work.

I'm sure you wouldn't be surprised to learn that I got over there as fast as possible. And there he was, loitering by the garbage cans. I'm sure it would've looked kinda sketchy to anyone else.

"Hi," I said, walking up to him.

"Hey, Mei-chan," he nodded towards the shop. "Would've let you inside, but we've been so busy this afternoon. It's pretty hot today."

"Oh yeah, definitely." I nodded.

He leaned against the brick wall. "So... what's up?"

"Uh..." it was at that moment I realized I hadn't planned out what I was gonna say. So why was I there again? "You kissed me."

"You're right, I did, didn't I?" He said it as if he had completely forgotten.

"Yeah," Jeez, why was I always so bad at holding a conversation?

Kaito raised his eyebrows a bit. "You aren't mad, are you? I know I probably should've asked first, but I didn't say anything because I thought you'd be upset."

"You know what? I am mad," I looked to the ground. "You can't just go around kissing anyone you please. Especially if they've never been kissed before."

He dropped his arms. "That was your first kiss?"

I nodded.

"You know, most people our age are married by now. Some even have kids." He remarked.