Twenty-Two

"Meimei? Are you still awake?"

Of course I was. How was I supposed to fall asleep when my mind was heavy with guilt from all that I had said earlier that day?

"I haven't heard that nickname in ten years," I replied instead, turning towards the timid voice. "What's wrong, Lulu?"

I opened my eyes to look at her. Luka was sitting on the edge of my bed and staring into her lap. "Can I... sleep in here tonight? I don't want to be alone."

"Your bed is bigger than mine," I groaned softly, scooting over so she could climb in. "Oh well. Better my bed than Kagamine's."

"He actually asked to spend the night, but I knew that this was a bad time. Plus, who knows if he would try to and creep into my room," Luka turned on her side to look at me. It was just like the sleepovers we had as teenagers.

"I don't trust him at all," I said, turning over in a similar fashion. "I can't believe this is happening."

Her wide eyes seemed bright even in the dark. "I'm surprised too, but everyone deserves a second chance. I... I really want this to work out."

"I know. That would change pretty much everything if it did."

"Yeah," she laid on her back and stared up at the ceiling. "I want the kids to get to know him. Especially as Len gets older, I think it would be good to have Hio around. I don't think I could show Len how to shave or tell him about... other guy things. It wouldn't be the same, at least."

"I guess that's true. We're going to have to break the news to them tomorrow," I replied, closing my eyes.

Luka gasped quietly. "Oh, you're right. Will you help me with it?"

"You know you're better at talking than me, but yeah, I'll be there for, like, support or something," I said casually. "Should we tell Miku and twins separately?"

She shook her head. "I don't see any reason why we have to. Sure, he isn't Miku's biological father, but I consider her my child all the same. I want them to get close too, if possible. And hey, he's here with us now, so please just call him by his first name."

"We'll see."

"Meiko?" Luka leaned in, putting her arms around me. "I'm scared. I don't know what's going to happen."

I chuckled a bit, bringing her in for a hug. "Oh, Luka. Always so childish," I paused for a moment, and then, swallowing my pride, I whispered, "I'm scared, too."

And for the first time in a long time, we laid there together in silent fear. It reminded me of when Luka found out she was pregnant and how much worry that had brought from the two of us. But hey, we did all that alone and now we were going strong. We never needed Yohioloid, and we didn't need him now either.

"Maybe this will be good for all of us," said Luka, finally looking up. "We're going into a new season of life."

"Yeah, I guess that's one way to put it," I pulled the blanket up to my shoulders.

She smiled a bit. "I mean, best case scenario, all of the kids have a father in their lives, maybe I'll get another chance at a relationship, and we can have another source of income."

"So if you go and get married and have a traditional family, would you kick me out?" I asked suddenly. No idea where those words came from.

"Never," Luka smiled sympathetically. "Why, would you want to leave?"

"Never."

She grinned and hugged me again. "That's what I was hoping. If you ended up also getting married, to Kaito, obviously, would you move out then?"