Three

(Kaito's POV)

"Bye!" A little boy waved to me, grinning ear to ear.

I waved back. "Enjoy your ice cream!" I loved my job so much. Kids get joy out of the smallest things, ice cream definitely included. And they can remember the face behind the ice cream, too, and that makes me feel... I don't know, important, I guess.

But it was much more than that. I personally adored ice cream myself. I'd incorporate it into my meals if at all possible, but I had learned a hard lesson on balancing a proper diet after a sugar crash. However, there was nothing wrong with good things in moderation, and I was just fantasizing what flavor I could scoop for myself when I got back to the shop.

I hummed a little tune while I packed up everything and I was getting ready to wheel the cart away when something shiny caught my attention. I looked over and saw that it was the reflection of a zipper on a wallet! I looked around, but the park was empty now, as it was starting to get dark.

I decided I had no choice but to open it and look for some source of ID, and luckily I found some. I pulled out the card and gasped. There was a picture of that woman from before, with the three kids. According to the card, her name was Meiko. Meiko. What a beautiful name for a beautiful woman.

I stared at the card for a little bit longer than I probably should have. Her lips were red and her brown eyes were shining, she looked gorgeous. So yeah, maybe I did have a little crush on her. I remembered our earlier interaction and how she turned me away. Oh, I guess those cheesy lines were kinda shallow. And sure, while she was by far one of the most beautiful women I had seen yet, there was more to it than that. She was just... different, really. The way she looked over those kids, I could tell she really had a strong love for them. They all just seemed so close and comfortable, there was something reassuring about it.

Wait, this was my chance! I could show her I was a good guy by returning her wallet, and I would get another chance to talk to her! It was perfect! I checked the address and realized it wasn't far from whereI lived. I quickly toted the ice cream cart back to the shop and peeked inside. "Hey, Gakupo?" I asked my friend. "I found a wallet in the park and I'm going to return it, do you mind cleaning out the cart?"

He didn't look up from the counter he was cleaning. "You still owe me for last time."

"Please?" I begged. "It belongs to this really pretty woman who-"

His head snapped up. "Well, why didn't you say so?! Go right ahead, but remember, you owe me two favors now!"

"Right!" I was already running out the door. "Thanks!"

I hopped into my car and as I drove to the house, I realized the neighborhood was right next to my apartment complex. How convenient!

I rang the doorbell and a woman with large blue eyes and long pink hair answered. "Can I help you, sir?"

"Hey, that's the ice cream man!" The little blonde girl scrambled up to me. "Do you have any with you?"

I smiled. "Not right now! Meiko left her wallet in the park and I followed the address on her ID."

"Oh, that's so kind! Meiko actually just left for the bar- how does she expect to pay without money? Crazy woman," the lady muttered. "If you don't mind going and returning it to her, I know she'll be very grateful."

"Sounds good!" I hopped into my car. Luckily, since the town was so small, nothing was far away. Since it was Saturday night, the bar was full of loud, drunk people.

Meiko must have seen me walk in, because I heard "Heyy, ice cream boy!" I turned my head and there she was, walking over to me with a drink in her hand.

I looked her up and down, the outfit she was wearing was completely different from before. Her skirt seemed awfully short. "Taking it all in, huh?" She giggled and finished off her drink. "Hey bartender, hit me again!"

My cheeks felt hot. I cleared my throat and said, "Um, you left your wallet and the park and-"

"What?" She yelled. "It's really loud in here! And hey, where is my drink?"

The bartender tried to shout over the noise. "I'm cutting you off for the night!"

"Awww!" She groaned, buried her face into my chest, and then looked up at me. "It's not fair!"

Now my ears were getting hot too. She was completely different when she was drunk. "Hey, did you come by yourself? Do you have a ride home?"

"Oh! I came with Haku. She's right over..." Meiko looked around. "Actually, I have no idea where she went. But who cares, he cut me off! I didn't even have that much!"

I decided I didn't have an option but to take charge. "Oh, you've had more than enough. Come on, I'm taking you home."

"Nooo! But I'm not ready yet!" She persisted.

I took a courageous step and grabbed her hand. "We're going."

The minute I touched her, she was distracted. "Wow, your hands are so big. And so soft, too!"

However, the minute I got her in the car, she was out like a light. I tried tapping on her arm. "Meiko? You can't go to sleep yet, you'll have to walk inside your house." But I knew there was no way I was going to wake her up, so there was only one option.

She would have to spend the night at my apartment.

I glanced over at her and tried not to blush. She was pretty cute, even when she was knocked out from the alcohol. How would she react to waking up somewhere strange, though? Whatever, it would be fine. I had a guest room, it's not like she'd be sleeping in my bed.

Sleeping in my bed. That was a weird thing to think about.

I was so glad she was asleep, because my face was very red now. I tried to snap out of it before my imagination prowled too far. Focus on driving, you creepy weirdo!

My apartment was on the third floor, so carrying her up the stairs was kinda weird, but luckily there was nobody around to question me. I carried her into the guest room and dropped her on the bed and then stared for a little bit. What the heck is wrong with me? I wondered. Honestly, I probably could have just brought her to her house, but she was here now, so oh well. "I'm such an idiot," I sighed to myself. I was getting ready to walk away, but then I realized it might be a good idea to get her under the blankets, and after some struggle I succeeded. Then I remembered her wallet, and as I put it on the nightstand I thought it would be good to leave her with a change of clothes, too. My shirt would be way too big for her, but it was there if she wanted it. Then I also left a little note stating that my room was next door if she needed anything. Once I was finally satisfied with my handiwork, I got ready for bed myself.

She's definitely gonna be angry in the morning, said my conscience, and I didn't doubt it, but it was too late now. I'd just have to worry about that when the time came.