Twenty-One

Spoiler alert: this chapter is insane

As soon as Kaito shut the door behind him, I pushed Kagamine into the living room. Luka cried, "What are you doing?"

"Let's go right now, you and me," I said, stepping up to him.

He brought his face close enough that I could smell his breath. It was not pleasant. "Oh yeah? You wanna fight?"

"No, no!" Luka said. "Can't we just talk this out, Meiko? Yohio?"

"No, not yet," I growled. "First I have to give him what he deserves."

He smirked. "I'd like to see you try."

I hesitated a moment to catch Kagamine off guard before slapping him in the face. "That's for being a terrible boyfriend."

He gripped my wrist, preventing me from slapping him again, so I took my free hand and punched his other arm. "That's for leaving and putting us through a world of pain."

He grunted a bit, but then got ahold of my second wrist. We quickly switched positions and he pushed me against the wall. "And what are you gonna do about it now? Looks like I win," he chuckled.

I brought my leg up quickly and my knee hit him where it counted. "And that is for showing up unexpectedly. You aren't gonna win this time."

He groaned and quickly let go of my hands, shrinking to the ground. Poor Luka, who was already sobbing, went over to him. "Hio? Are you-"

"Don't, Luka," I interrupted, rubbing at my face. "I'm not done with him yet."

He was standing up weakly as he put a hand out to motion that I should wait. "Hold on, Meiko... I'm not ready yet."

I scoffed and ignored him. I pulled him up against that same wall to get my revenge and started punching relentlessly. He tried to push me off, but since I was completely blinded by my anger, I kept it going.

I should've stopped when I heard him coughing, but everything was happening too fast. I must've targeted his stomach a bit too much, because next thing I knew his lunch came up, mostly on me. 

"Oh dear, oh dear," whimpered Luka, coming over to help. "No more fighting. Go hop in the shower."

Still fuming, I had time to process everything while cleaning myself off. Kagamine had tricked Kaito into letting him in, which left them both at fault in my mind. Kaito should know better than to trust strangers so easily.

To make matters even worse, I had taken out all of my pent-up feelings over the years on Kagamine using violence, and I had gotten sore wrists out of it. On top of all that, he had the audacity to go and throw up on me! I definitely had thought up a couple of names for him that would've gotten me in trouble in Luka's house on any other day, yet I fully intended to use them.

Not feeling any better than before, I plodded down the hall, bare feet hitting the floor loudly. And I was not a fan of the sight awaiting me on the couch. 

They were sitting close enough that their thighs were touching, and I just knew his hand was going to try and slither up her leg. The other hand was resting on the other side of her legs, giving him an arm to lean against and a way for his face to get awfully close to hers. Luka was pulling back hesitantly, yet at the same time she didn't look like she exactly disliked it.

"No. Stop that right now."

Kagamine turned to sneer at me. "Geez, Meiko, you've always been a mood killer. I can't spend one second alone with my girlfriend?" 

"Luka is not your girlfriend," I spat back, pushing him away and forcefully wedging myself in between the two of them. "Not anymore, and not ever again." 

He gave me  a terrible grin. "I wouldn't be so sure about that."

"What is he saying?" I turned to  Luka, very annoyed. 

She looked down and stammered a bit. "Well... Yohio wants to be back in my life. He wants to get to know the kids and-"

"Are you crazy?! That doesn't mean you should be dating him!" 

"I never said that I was," she defended. "We have some more to discuss, but... I mean, if things work out well, then..." 

I huffed and stood up, pointing a finger at Kagamine. "You. Don't you dare start touching her without her consent this time. We're all older and hopefully more mature by now. But don't think this means I trust you. I have to keep my guard up since she clearly isn't." 

"Good for you," he smirked at me. "For the record, I never liked you, either." 

I turned and started stalking away. "Whatever. I need to talk to Kaito."

"Oh, your boyfriend sucks!" He called after me, enraging me even more. "He's gullible, too!"

After the usage of some colourful language, I finally got him to shut up.

I went into the backyard to find Kaito giving Rin a piggyback ride. They were running after Miku and Len, and Rin was screaming, "We're gonna get you!"

"Oh, hey, it's Auntie Mei!" Kaito stopped when he saw me, and the kids looked over too.

"Hey, what's going on?" Len ran to me. "Who is that guy?"

I shook my head. "I can't explain right now, sorry. I have to talk to Kaito."

"Aww, okay. We'll miss you," said Rin, sliding to the ground.

He smiled. "Keep playing without me! I'll be back soon!"

"Come on," I grabbed his wrist and began to lead him inside. When we passed by the living room, where Kagamine was getting a bit too close to Luka again, I walked a bit faster, making my footsteps louder. Kaito was struggling to keep up.

When we arrived in my room, I shut the door. "So what's been happening?" Kaito asked in a hushed voice. "I thought I heard you yelling from inside."

Unfortunately, I still had some rage boiling inside me. "That's him, Kaito. Yohioloid Kagamine, the guy who ruined everything."

"Yeah, I... I had a feeling it was something like that. I can't believe he tricked me," he said, rubbing at his neck.

"And I can't believe you let him in," I could feel my voice rising and my body being covered in sweat with the heat of what I was saying. "Don't you realize what you've done?"

Then I saw Kaito make a face I had never seen before. He was... frustrated? He put his hands up in defense. "That's not fair. You never told me what he looked like or even his first name. How was I supposed to know?"

"I don't know how you could do this to me!" blinded by my anger, I wasn't listening. "I've spent the past eight years trying to fix the mess that he made, and you just undid everything in a second!"

"You're actually angry at me," Kaito gave up on his anger and just stood there in disbelief.

I was full-on shouting now. "Yes, I am! You ruined everything! This is all your fault!"

I wasn't thinking when those words came out of my mouth. It's something I still regret to this day. The realization of what I had just said hit me like a pile of bricks, and to pour salt in the wound, I could tell I had really hurt Kaito. His expression changed to one of pure sadness and disappointment, yet he said nothing.

"You know what, maybe you should just go," I felt hot tears streaming down my face, and I turned away, too ashamed to look him in the eye. "I need to be alone."

He hesitated for a second, maybe waiting to see if I would say something else. When I didn't, he simply responded with "Okay," and then he was gone.

I wanted to scream, run right after him and deny it all, or maybe turn back time and change my mindset. Instead of doing any of those things, I sat on my bed and tried to stifle my sobbing.

The person who really ruined everything was me.