Eighteen

It was good I told Luka that I wanted to quit when I did, because I quickly changed my mind. I mean, don't get me wrong, I liked the idea of stopping, but I had gone the weekend without a drink and that was the longest I had been sober for a long time. It was driving me crazy. However, there was no getting out of it now.

Besides, I was determined to do my part to abolish this debt we were in. So Monday I went back to work and pretended like everything was the same as always, but everyone was treating me nicer after hearing about my little accident. And with a lack of alcohol, I was more dependent on coffee than I had been before. I had my usual cup before work, but even now I wanted to go get another one from the coffee station out in the hallway.

It was just my surprise to find a group of ladies huddled around, all holding mugs. "Oh my gosh, it's Meiko!" They were acting friendly all of a sudden, even though none of them particularly liked me before. Needless to say, I also got many unwanted hugs as well.

"How are you feeling? Better?" asked the blonde woman who was holding onto my arms.

"Yeah, well, I-"

"I mean, cause I wouldn't want you to make everyone sick! Oh my gosh, can you imagine?" She turned to the other women and they all started twittering as well.

I swallowed. "I actually wasn't sick at all." Nobody heard me, of course.

"What were you wearing?" Another one spoke up. "When they almost got you, I mean. You could've been asking for it."

"I don't remember," I frowned. "But that's not an excuse for their actions."

Instead of responding, she just raised her eyebrows in a way that could only be described as doubt. As much as I wanted to tell her off right there and then, they all started whispering and pointing to something behind me, and I heard footsteps coming. Before I could turn around, two hands with blue nails held my lunch box before me.

"Surprise, Mei-chan!"

I turned around. "Kaito! What are you doing here?"

"Delivering a package," he beamed. "You forgot your lunch box at the house, but I was leaving for work anyways so I told Luka I would bring it to you!"

One of the ladies stepped forward. "Oh my gosh! Are you Meiko's boyfriend?"

"Yep! And I work at an ice cream shop," he came around and stood next to me, grabbing my hand.

"Ice cream, huh," she said with mild disinterest.

"Well, you better get going," I said, turning to face him. "Don't want you to be late for work."

"Alright! I'll see you later!" He kissed my cheek and started to walk away as all the ladies cooed.

But then...

"Oh my gosh, did you see his nails? He looked so funny. And why was he wearing a scarf?"

"Hey," I frowned again. These ladies were really obnoxious. "Don't speak about him like that."

"Is he your first boyfriend? I've never heard about you having a partner before."

"He is," I nodded. "But he's better than anything I could've asked for."

The lady scoffed. "Well, that explains a lot. I suppose you wouldn't know anything about guys or relationships."

I was about to protest when another one said, "Oh my gosh, just wait until you get cheated on!" And that sent them all into a roar.

"Wait, you've all been cheated on before?" I asked, forgetting my anger.

"Of course," responded a lady with dark hair. "It happens to everyone at least once. You'll get cheated on sooner or later."