Two

"Aunty Mei? Aunty Mei? Wake up," I felt a tiny finger poking at my arm.

I groaned and opened my eyes. "What do you need, Rin?"

The girl with the messy blond hair looked up at me. "Could you make breakfast?"

"Yeah," I sat up and rubbed my eyes. "Where is your mom?"

"In her room. When she didn't get up at her usual time, Miku said we should leave her alone."

I stood up and walked to the kitchen, Rin trailing behind me. "You guys know how to make a bowl of cereal, don't you?"

"I always spill the milk," said Len, who was sitting in front of the TV. "Mommy usually does that part."

"Hmm," I muttered, grabbing a colorful box.

"Luka doesn't like us eating sugary cereal," Miku said, looking up from her book.

"Then why did we buy it? That woman," I sighed as I fixed three bowls. "Here you go."

The kids looked down at the cereal skeptically. "Really?"

"It's Saturday, who cares." Since I hadn't had my coffee yet, my brain was still asleep. I walked down the hall to Luka's room and opened the door without knocking. She was curled up on her bed while staring at her phone. "What are you doing?"

"Oh, Meiko!" Luka dropped her phone dramatically and it hit the carpet. She draped her arm over her face, surrounded by pink hair. "I can't get up or my tummy will cramp again! It is simply torture that they make women deal with this on a monthly basis!"

I walked up to the bed and crossed my arms. She hugged my waist and buried her face in my shirt. "First of all, get your dirty hands off me. Just because you're on your period doesn't mean you can get special treatment. You don't see me complaining when I get mine, do I?"

"But you're so tough," she wailed. "I bet you never feel cruddy."

Luka was wrong. I actually felt cruddy most of the time, to the point I had just become numb. The difference between me and her was that I learned how to put up a shield early on, so I wouldn't bother anyone with my problems, which were insignificant. "Compared to what? You?" I got ready to walk away, but she clung to me. "You're such a baby, Luka."

"You'll have to drag me around," she insisted. "I don't think I can walk!"

I sighed. I loved my best friend and all, but she was so immature for a grown woman with three children. "You know, I had to make breakfast for the kids, since you were wallowing in self pity."

She looked up. There was nothing she cared more deeply about than her babies. "You didn't feed them junk, did you? That's not good for them!"

That got her walking. I snickered and followed her out of the bedroom. "Mommy!" Rin saw Luka and ran over to her.

Luka kissed her daughter and then started inspecting her. "Rin, baby, do you feel alright? Does your head hurt? Your stomach?"

Rin looked at her like she was crazy. "No, Mommy, we're fine. Why?"

She got up and went over to the others. "Lenny too? And Miku?"

"A tiny bit of sugar won't hurt them," I chuckled."Let kids be kids."

Luka walked towards me and grabbed my hand, but she didn't stop walking. She pulled me along until we were back in her room. She looked angry.

"Why are you so mad, it's not a big deal!" I leaned against the door. "Kids like sugar, that's just how it is. They're not going to die. Just look at me, I drink plenty and I'm fine."

"That's why I watch what they eat!" I saw tears prick her eyes. "I just don't understand why people like spending money on things that are bad for their bodies. It's stupid."

I knew Luka didn't approve of me going out to the bar every weekend, but I didn't really care. That was the one ounce of freedom I felt I had left. Plus, it felt good. It felt good to scorch my throat and forget the events of the week, if only for a little while.

I sighed. "Luka..."

"Maybe I'll go make them a healthy breakfast, one that's actually nutritious." She walked towards the door.

I followed after her. "But they just ate!"

"Well then," Luka gave me a look that said better stop arguing or else. "I guess we'll be having brunch today."

I flopped down onto a bench and sighed. For late May, it was entirely too hot. To avoid Luka's snappy mood, I decided to take the kids to the park for a bit. Rin and Len were swinging and Miku was trying to conquer her old enemy, the monkey bars. I exhaled deeply and faced the sun, closing my eyes. It was the weekend and I was supposed to enjoy it, but how could I when I had so much to worry about? Between work, groceries, and the never ending bills, my life was completely and totally miserable.

I hated this lifestyle, I really did, but there was nothing I could do to change it. I had sacrificed my own happiness for Luka's, and the kids', and at the end of the day, that was what was important. Besides, seeing them happy was what made me happy, even if I despised the process it took to get there.

Whatever. At least tonight I had made plans with Haku to hit the bar. She worked in the same office as me and we went out to drink most weekends. My thoughts on what I should get later were rudely interrupted but a voice saying, "Hey there, pretty friend!"

My eyes snapped open. Hovering above me was that creepy ice cream guy. He grinned. "Mind if I set up my cart here next to you?"

I looked to the right, where he had a little ice cream cart. "I don't care, but don't call me that. I'm not pretty and I'm not your friend."

He leaned on the cart, resting his chin in his hands. "Well, I think you're pretty and I want to be friends."

"Why? Because I have a nice figure?" I frowned. "That's so shallow."

He looked away from my face for half a second and blushed. "No! Not at all! I mean, don't get me wrong, you do, but there's more to it than that!"

"I don't think there is," I crossed my arms and looked over at the playground. "You're not the first guy to call me pretty, and they all just wanted me for my body."

"O-Oh... I'm sorry."

I decided to change the subject. I didn't like talking about myself. "Why are you wearing a scarf? It's ridiculously hot today."

"I always wear a scarf!" Kaito smiled. "I love ice cream, so I'm used to cold temperatures. It's just kind of attached to me, I guess!"

I was practically melting in my red tank top, I could hardly imagine how sweaty he must've been.

Just then I heard a wail over on the playground. I looked over and saw that it was coming from Len. Rin held his hand as they walked over to me. "We were playing tag and he tripped and skinned his knee," she said as her twin climbed onto the bench next to me, bawling and whimpering. "Want me to kiss it, Len?" he nodded and his sister leaned over and pecked his knee.

"You'll be okay, bud," I smiled and patted his leg. "Wanna sit with me for a little bit?" He nodded and leaned against my arm.

Kaito cleared his throat. "You know, there's nothing a little ice cream can't fix!"

I looked over at Len. "Ice cream?" He nodded. I grabbed his hand and stood up, taking some bills out of my wallet. "Okay, what's on the menu?"

"With me I have chocolate, strawberry, cookies and cream, mint chocolate chip, and rocky road." He leaned a little closer. "Of course, I'm always an option, too."

"Oh, you know what!" I looked over to the shops not far away. "I hear a froyo place just opened down the street, maybe we'll check that out instead-"

"I'll give you the friends and family discount!"

"Sold!" I turned around. "Hey, Rin! Miku! Want some ice cream?"

He grinned. "So you will be my friend?"

"Eh. We'll see."