Twenty-Eight

This chapter is almost twice as long as a regular chapter, but I just couldn't bear to leave anything out :) after so long I finally get to write Kaito and Meiko being all lovey dovey and it's just aucienodkeldicielslx

Enjoy the continuation of my favorite part of this story~

I woke up to the sound of someone screaming.

I jolted and sat up frantically, and it took me a second to remember where I was. I was a little embarrassed as I recalled all the events of the previous night, but that didn't last long. I had to find out why Kaito was so upset.

I ran into the other room and found him tossing and turning in his bed. His eyes were squeezed shut and he looked very distressed. He was yelling "No, no!" and I could tell he was having a nightmare.

"Kaito," I started quietly, tapping his shoulder. He felt my hand and started pushing me away, shrieking even louder. I sat on the bed and started fighting back, trying to call his name and make my voice louder than his. Finally his eyes popped open and started frantically darting around the place, trying to understand what was going on. He focused on my face and then his expression changed to one of horror as he turned away, curled up, and started crying.

"Kaito," I repeated again, placing a hand on his arm. He flinched. "Kaito, it was just a bad dream."

He still didn't look at me.

I moved my hand to his back and started rubbing it. "Hey, it's alright. It's just you and me here. You're safe, I promise."

Kaito turned his head ever so slightly to peek at me, and I could see through his bleary eyes that he seemed afraid. "Come here," I whispered, and he turned over to face me. I couldn't help but smile when I thought about just how much he trusted me.

Then I took him by surprise and started singing softly. It was a simple lullaby that Luka used when the twins were babies, but it was the first time I had really sung in a long time. Kaito's eyes widened as he started to calm down and I used that opportunity to brush his tears away. I cupped his cheek and he brought his own hand up to mine. He closed his eyes as I ran the fingers of my free hand through his hair, moving the pieces that had stuck to his face out of the way. By the time I had finished the song and kissed his forehead, he had relaxed completely. I started to pull away gently when I felt his grip tighten on my hand.

"Please don't leave. I need you."

I chuckled softly. "I wouldn't dream of it. I'm just going to go around to the other side of the bed, okay?"

I heard him whine when I finally got my hand loose, and so I walked around and crawled in as soon as I could get over then. Kaito turned and clung to me, his face buried in the crook of my neck. I had never seen him be so... needy before.

"Did you have a nightmare again?" I whispered.

I felt him shift a little, and when he started speaking his voice was the most vulnerable I'd ever heard it. "They started to go away... I thought things were getting better, I really did... and then it just had to happen the one night you were here... I wouldn't have invited you if I had known I was going to wake you up and bother you like this."

"Kaito," I couldn't keep myself from kissing the top of his head again. "I'm glad I was here. You don't deserve to be all alone in this, I know that it's scary. You will never bother me with these things, I mean, you help me out so much that it's only fair that I return the favor."

I felt him nuzzle against me, and I could not believe just how cute he was like this. "You really mean that?"

"Of course I do, I love you so much," I said, letting my hands wander. "You're my Kaito, after all."