Twenty-Seven

In every story an author writes, there's always that one part that they're dying to write.

This is it. This is my favorite part. 

Luka and I stared at that check for a long, long time.

Finally, she snapped her head up and looked at me. "You know we can't accept this."

"Oh, of course not," I said, tracing my finger along Kaito's handwriting. "I just don't know why he would do this."

"So then it's settled. You need to go see him and give it back," Luka said, getting up.

I followed behind her. "Hey, wait! Why do I have to go over there? Can't you do it?"

"No, I can't," she turned around. "This letter was addressed to you, and besides, you've been ignoring him for what, a couple weeks? That's not right. You have to talk to him."

I groaned. "Right now?"

"Meiko. Don't be so immature about it. You have to live up to this if you want things to get any better," she said, resting her hands on her hips. "Especially after last night."

"Yeah, yeah, I know." I went out drinking and this morning I felt the worst I ever had. Partly because I had a hangover, but also because I felt guilty about doing it in the first place. I had decided that I was done with alcohol for good. All I needed to do was work up the courage to tell Haku.

But that could wait. Right now I needed to work up the courage to talk to Kaito. Just hand him the envelope and then leave. That's all you have to do.

Somehow I managed to stall all day. It was Saturday, too, so I didn't have work. Luka kept nagging me about it, but I always found an excuse for why I couldn't leave yet. She was shooting me looks all throughout dinner, and so finally, after everyone finished eating and the kitchen was completely clean, there was nothing else to do. I had to go.

His apartment was easy to get to, so I had memorized the route. The whole drive there, my mind was completely blank and I was just controlling the car subconsciously. I was thinking about everything yet nothing at the same time.

My heart was pounding as I walked up to the door. My hand was shaking as I rang the doorbell. I must've stood there for only a second, but it felt like forever. I started to chicken out and turn away. This was a bad idea. What was I thinking?

Of course, that's when he opened the door. "Meiko?"

I swore and turned back around. I couldn't look him in the eye. I suddenly remembered what I was supposed to do and I thrust my arm out, offering him the envelope.

Kaito just pressed his lips together. "...Hey, why don't you come inside? We have a lot to talk about."

"Okay," I said involuntarily. My stomach was doing flips.

"So, you aren't taking the check," he sighed a little, shutting the door. "I had a feeling you wouldn't."

I shook my head. "Of course not. I'm not gonna take money from you like that. What was it for, anyway?"

"Well... you shouldn't have to rely on some contest for your income. I wanted to make things a little more peaceful," he seemed bashful about it.

He took the check from me and placed it on the counter, and the moment he turned away was when I chose to start crying. Of course that was the reason he did it. He was always putting me first, no matter what situation we were in.

Kaito seemed surprised to find tears welling up in my eyes, and I dropped to the floor, even though I was inches away from the couch. And Kaito, sweet, perfect Kaito, just sat next to me and cupped my cheek, giving me a sincere smile. I leaned into the touch. "Talk to me," he said simply.