Five

Fawn

"Okay, that should do it," I pant as I finish tightening the final screw. I wipe  the small bead of sweat on my forehead away and after my fingertips grace my hair, I realise how soaked through it is. I removed my long, black coat before me and Amy started on the plumbing issue, as it would get in the way and ruin the material, plus the sleeves of my shirt were rolled up as far as they could go to avoid them getting soggy.

Additionally, Amy had removed her jacket and rolled up her sleeves too, as I warned her it could get quite wet and messy. There were several burst pipes but with Amy's hard work - she can learn very quickly - we managed to fix all the broken pipes within about two hours. 

"Great!" Amy exclaims as she puts away a small spanner, also slightly out of breath from all the work. She holds up her hand with a large, bright and beaming smile on her face, to which I chuckle and I high-five her, impressed with our work. 

We clean up any mess left before we head out and once we're back in the bullpen, Amy clears her throat to get everybody's attention. "The toilets are back in action!" She exclaims, followed by a series of cheers and applause. I chuckle as I walk down the hall near the meeting room to put away the large box of tools, my eyes searching doors for 'Maintenance Room'. Eventually, I find it and once I've put all the tools back where they belong, I hear Captain Holt's authoritative voice addressing the room. 

"Detectives, you're free to leave. I understand there's a gathering at Shaw's Bar tonight, so I will join you later in the evening," he says aloud and as I go to tidy my desk, he places his hand on my shoulder, making me stop in my place. "Very good job today, Detective Hamilton. I can tell you're going to be a fine asset to this precinct." I smile and thank him, before I head over to my desk and start to tidy up my things. I log off my computer and I switch everything off, I make sure the file from today has been finished and I hand it over to Captain Holt to double check, then I collect my bag and walk over to the lift.

The doors start to close with Amy and Rosa inside, so I quickly slide through and make it inside. "Well, you survived your first day!" Amy remarks, patting my arm supportively with a bright smile on her face. I chuckle slightly and just small talk with Amy and Rosa for the short time in the lift, although I can see that Rosa has some distaste for it. The doors open once we reach the ground floor and I walk out with Rosa, whereas Amy heads out a different way. For the third time today, we both get on our motorbikes and head back into the busy city streets, but we part at a junction to head for our homes to refresh for the evening at the pub. 

I reach my apartment within ten minutes and when I pull up outside, I let out a large sigh of relief, glad that I successfully got through my first day. I switch off my motorbike, take out my key and head into the building complex. The long set of stairs leads me to my floor and as I fish my keys out of my bag, I wonder if I'll have any mail in my letterbox. When I reach my door, I just find bills shoved into the door, so I sigh and pull them out as I unlock the door. Once I'm inside, my keys and bag are almost immediately discarded.

I make my way into the bathroom and I turn the shower on, hot water gushing out of the showerhead. As the room starts to fill with steam, I strip down to my undergarments and when I catch my reflection in the fogged up mirror, my eyes seem spot every single scar etched into my skin. I feel my fingers stretch out to touch them, but I almost slap myself and look away from the mirror sharply. 

I take off my bra, then my underwear and then I step inside the shower, closing the glass door behind me. I try to shave and wash my hair as quickly as I can, as I don't want to be the last one to arrive at the bar. Once I'm done, I step out and grab a large towel to wrap around my body. 

When I reach my bedroom, I rummage through my wardrobe until I find my outfit:

After grabbing some fresh undergarments, I slide into my trousers, button up my black, silk button up shirt, tuck it my trousers and use my buckled belt to keep it secure

After grabbing some fresh undergarments, I slide into my trousers, button up my black, silk button up shirt, tuck it my trousers and use my buckled belt to keep it secure. Then, look through my jewellery box to find some accessories. I slide a few rings onto my fingers, a gold chain necklace, a circle charm necklace underneath and some golden hoops to tie the whole ensemble together. 

My hair has started to dry naturally, but it's still too wet to go outside with it, so I switch on my hairdryer. After a few minutes, my hair is extremely bouncy and dry. Deciding to flow with it, I just grab some gel and run a small amount through my hair, just so there is some control going on. 

Satisfied with my appearance, I head back into the main living room to collect all my things, but I grab a small handbag that can hold my phone, wallet, purse and breath mints. As I turn to the door, my eye catches a small folded up piece of paper as it lands on the floor. Confused, I walk over to pick it up, but I drop it instantly and storm outside, my eyes darting all around me in hopes to see someone running away.

With no one there, I lean inside to grab my bike helmet and as I close the door, my eyes catch the open note on the floor...

Have you missed me?