Sixteen

Fawn

"He confessed," I state bluntly, pushing the confession form, now completely filled out, into Jake's hands before I march over to my desk. As I fall into my chair and start typing away, I feel Jake's eyes focussed on me and when I look up to make eye contact with him, he looks at me with slight concern.

"My perp gave me the names of two of his bosses, I need to start looking into them both," I say, explaining my slightly hurried and almost angry body language. Jakes nods as his eyes go back to the confession form I just handed him, but just as my eyes go to look back at the screen in front of me, I feel my chair spin around sharply and I'm greeted with a wide-eyed, mouth gaping Jake; his eyes carry a heavy seriousness in them, a seriousness that I rarely see in him.

"Your perp gave you the name of Freddy Miliardi and said that he is one of his bosses?" He asks, seriously and sternly, staring straight into my eyes as his hands rest on the arms of my chair. I nod my head and before I can ask why he suddenly got really serious, Amy walks up to the two of us, her mouth hanging open slightly too.

"Did you say Freddy Miliardi?" She gasps, shock on her face and when I explain what my perp told me, she lightly pushes Jake and gushes that this could be the way he finally catches him again. "Again? Did you nearly catch one of the biggest crime mob bosses in New York?" I ask, looking at Jake in surprise, to which he nods, scrambles over to his desk and starts furiously typing away at his computer.

"A few years ago, I went undercover to join the mafia and bring it down from the inside," he starts to explain as he turns his computer screen around, showing me the electronic copy of his case file, "my cover was that I'd just been fired from the NYPD as the mafia all hated cops and after a few months, I was able to complete my undercover operation to take them down. Apart from one who got away, which was Freddy. Since that day, he's always been in the back of my mind and if I ever had the chance to try and arrest him, I would take it."

After hearing the entire story, I point to the confession form still in Jake's possession and smile at him,  as I say that I would be more than happy to talk to Holt about making him my partner in hunting down Freddy. Jake practically jumps in the air and bounces on his toes slightly, an ecstatic smile on his face.

"Would you? Would you?" He exclaims, making both Amy and I laugh at the familiar childishness that settled back into Jake's character. "Of course," I reply, now being the serious one, "clearly that case meant a lot to you and it's annoying whenever someone gets away, I know that, especially when it's someone as significant as Freddy Miliardi. I'll talk to Captain Holt when his meeting is finished."

Jake starts to jump up and down again with sheer excitement, so much that Terry had to escort him into another room to calm him down, which sends chuckles and laughter around the room. As I turn to go back to my computer to continue my research into the two crime mobs, I notice that the Captain's meeting has almost finished, so I grab my completed case file, stand up and ready myself to go and talk to him. 

My thoughts are interrupted by the buzz of my phone in my pocket, which vibrates against my hip. I pull it out and as soon as my eyes glance upon the number, a burning feeling of anger starts to bubble inside of me, so I make my way outside to the roof before I answer.

"Hello, Sergeant," the voice on the other end starts, which is the same voice that called me the last time my life and the life of those around me were threatened. "I don't think I need to tell you again, but your sly paper messages through my door and your phone calls don't scare me. The break-in at my apartment was foiled and after my interrogation with the criminals who seized the Mayor and other hostages, I have the names of two crime bosses. It would appear that you're losing."

A chuckle leaves the voice's lips before they respond, which makes my fist tighten even more, my fingernails slightly digging into my skin. "Ah, so you can finally put a name to a voice, can you?" 

"Indeed, Freddy Miliardi," I respond, slightly spitting his name out with disgust. "That's correct and despite your insistence that our threats do not worry you, I think we both know that you are at least slightly troubled," Freddy responds and I can practically hear the revolting smirk on his face.

"Listen here, Miliardi," I start, anger now filling the tone of my voice, "like your keen observations have proved, I was a Sergeant in the armed forces. There have been numerous occasions when my life was challenged by threats that actually carried meaning in them, such as bomb attacks on civilian cities or fighting in trenches for the country's survival. So the threats that you post through my door every week and these random phone calls do not compare in the slightest, and like I said, the attack in my apartment was foiled and I am still standing. You can keep threatening my own life and I will deal with that alone, but if you dare to threaten the lives of my friends or family, I will personally take you down and make sure that you rot in prison. You got that?" 

After completely going off at Freddy, he simply laughs in response before adding one final comment. "You never know what could happen." Then, he hangs up the call. I heave a massive sigh and take a few deep breaths, in order to destress and calm myself down. My hands feel like they want to start to shake, but I push the nerves aside and exhale sharply, the fresh New York air blowing my hair aside.

I turn around to see Jake standing in the doorway, with a shocked expression on his face and a worried look in his eyes. 

Shit.

Thank you everyone for continuing to read 'hostage', we recently hit 11.1k views on this story and I am in such disbelief! That is a crazy number and I'm hopeful that it will continue to rise with the upcoming chapters, so please continue reading and feel free to suggest anything that you want to see in this story in the comments (whether these are characters, story lines, events etc.)

Thank you again!! :)