Fourteen

Fawn

"Hope you enjoy your court trial, dirtbag," I snark as I shut the holding cell door, the cause of my hit-and-run case begrudgingly stuck inside, and I toss the cell keys back to Sergeant Jeffords. As I sit back at my desk and open the case folder to start on all the paperwork, a million thoughts are swimming around my head from that anonymous phone call earlier today. 

Who are they? Why are they threatening both myself and people close to me? How do they know I was a sergeant? Knowing that I can't let it worry me, I try to push the thoughts to the back of my head and focus on the paperwork for my case. I start to fill in the perp's details and everything that was said in the interrogation room, but out of the corner of my eye, I see Jake standing very confidently just outside the briefing room.

I watch as he simply stands there, waiting for something. Then, I see Amy stand up from her desk and starts to make her way to Captain Holt's office, after which Jake power walks over to his desk and sits down sharply, a small giggle leaving his lips.

"Let me guess," I whisper, so no one nearby can hear, "you and Amy are working together for this heist." My observation is confirmed when Jake nods eagerly and slides upon a drawer in his desk, a surprisingly empty drawer. Quickly, I see him stash the tied up beanie filled with dollars and chocolates inside, shuts it promptly and locks it with a small key, which is then shoved into his back pocket. 

"You really think that simply locking the beanie in there is going to be the way you win?" I ask him, slightly judging his significantly simple solution to winning the heist, but he shakes his head and smirks, leaning back into his chair. Instantly, I know that he's plotted something in that scheming little head of his and that the beanie in his drawer probably isn't the actual one, so I don't ask him further about anything and sign off my paperwork.

Then Captain Holt marches into the room, somehow looking even more serious and determined than he usually does. "You think this is a silly game, do you Peralta?" He asks, his voice thunderous and booming. Jake simply smirks and shrugs at the Captain, who scowls slightly. "I will find that beanie before midnight tonight, I ASSURE you!" He shouts before he marches back into his office, calling for Gina as he steps inside.

"Sergeant," I ask, raising my paperwork file in the air, "could you look over this instead? I feel like Captain is too emotionally involved in this heist." Terry chuckles and nods, so I hand the file over to him and thank him. As I walk back to my desk, I hear Terry stand up from his chair, an monotonous seriousness spread all over his face.

"Attention everyone, we're going to have to put the heist on hold," he announces, groans following his statement, but Terry immediately shuts them up, "I've just been informed that there's a hostage situation at City Hall, with the Mayor being one of them. This is a crucial mission and there can be NO messing around, is that clear?"

Everyone nods their heads and I stand up from my chair, Jake following suit. "Hamilton and Peralta, I need you to suit up now, get down there and try to talk to the criminal. Diaz, Santiago and Boyle, you're all with me. GO!" Me and Jake both bolt over to the weapons and armour department, where we swiftly suit up into the specialised hostage armour.

"First hostage situation at the Nine-Nine for you!" Jake exclaims, an element of excitement in his voice, "I've done one or two, so you don't need to worry about me, I can handle myself." I chuckle slightly as I load up my pistol and slide it into its holster, before I joke that he'll be shocked by the time the mission is over.

"Oh really? Why do you say that?" He asks with a cheeky, devilish grin on his face. I turn to him as I go to leave and say, "Well, you've never seen my tactics. Remember, I'm ex-armed forces. I've been in situations like this."

-

"Heading into City Hall now," I announce into my walkie-talkie, Jake close by my side. We both have our pistols raised, supported by both our hands, as we start creep through City Hall, not wanting to make our presence known yet. We check around every corner and keep advancing,  our footsteps slow and silent. 

"What did you mean earlier," Jake whispers as we look into a discarded, empty office, "when you said you've been in situations like this? You've never been a hostage, right?" His voice is laced with worry and concern, to which I shake my head and relief settles into his face. 

"No, but there's been many scenarios when I've been fighting where we've come across someone holding civilians hostage. One time, this absolute monster of a man was holding a whole classroom of children hostage. Luckily, my partner and I were able to save them all," I explain in a hushed voice. We move into a new room and I start to hear some distinct, muffled voices nearby. Jake seems to hear them too, so I motion towards the source of the sound and after carefully opening a door that leads into a narrow corridor, the voices grow significantly in volume.

Jake points to a side door, which is where the voices are coming from. "That's them," he says as I lean into my walkie-talkie, confirming to the Sergeant that we've found where the hostages are located. There's a window to the left of the door, so I sneak underneath and after popping my head up, I do a swift and quick headcount of the room.

"Seven hostages, including the mayor," I inform both Jake and the Sergeant, "two men inside, both carrying heavy shotguns." We wait for instructions from the Sergeant but then, the power in the building shuts off and the connection is lost.

"Connection's broken," I observe, my instincts from the army coming back to me almost instantly, "number one priority is to get the hostages out alive, so here's the plan: we enter the room and order the armed men to put down their weapons. If they do, we handcuff them and get them out of the building. If they refuse or go to shoot a hostage, do not hesitate to fire on them. Try not to kill them if you can."

Jake looks at me with shock, but quickly nods his head in response. With the plan set, we stand up and both kick the door down. Our guns are raised and aimed at the armed men, our voices loud and commanding.

"Drop your weapons!"