Thirty

Amy

"Charles! Rosa!" I shout out, my eyes fixated on the snapped key stuck halfway through Fawn's door lock. As soon as they run up the apartment complex stairs, stop beside me and their own eyes fall on the broken key, we all exchange a worried look with one another. "Step aside," Rosa demands as she moves back, stopping just in front of the bannister that stops anyone from falling over, to which Charles and I both take a few steps away from her. She charges at the door and  roughly charges at it, her shoulder making contact with the door hard enough to snap it off its hinges. 

"It's like a ghost town in here," I mumble as we all make our way inside Fawn's apartment, which looks bare and empty, despite all of her furniture and appliances still being present. Every curtain or blind is shut, the windows are all locked tight and none of the lights are on; it gives every indication that she hasn't been home recently. My heel slips underneath something that makes a distinct cracking sound, almost like glass. When I look down and pull up my foot, I see the smashed screen of Fawn's phone, which has been completely destroyed. 

"What if she hasn't been home?" Charles calls out from the living room area, but before I can alert him to the evidence of Fawn's smashed phone, Rosa emerges from the bedroom area holding onto a large bunch of empty hangers. "If she hasn't been home, why are all her clothes and belongings gone?" I then motion to the phone on the floor, which Rosa immediately spots and grits her teeth at in response.

"Her clothes are all gone, along with her belongings, and she's destroyed her phone... it looks likely that she's just... run away," I say conclusively, the sentence proving troubling to fall off my tongue. We all look at eachother and with no clearer conclusion, we nod our heads and start to make our way back out of the apartment, apprehensive about having to tell Captain Holt the news about Fawn. 

As we walk down the series of stairs that leads back down to the street, Charles exclaims behind Rosa and I, his hand pointing towards the garbage bins. "Look, that bag hasn't been shut properly and not to sound creepy at all, but I definitely recognise that coat on top to be Fawn's. It's the one that Gina admired and after Fawn noticed, she gifted her the spare grey one that she had." Rosa and I look down into the bin, and sure enough, the two of us see Fawn's coat stuffed in the top. After we examine the few bins that lie on top, we continue to find more of Fawn's clothes and her personal belongings. 

"I don't think she's run away," Rosa starts, her voice unusually quiet, "if she did, she would've taken this all with her. I think she's gone somewhere and she's uncertain if she'll come back, so she's thrown everything away in case she doesn't." Then, it clicks. "She's gone back to the army," we all mumble simultaneously, the three of us exchanged troubled looks with one another. 

"We need to tell the precinct," I finish.

-

"Captain?" I call out, knocking on the door of the Captain's office, my stomach ill with dread. After he welcomes me inside, Rosa and Charles waiting outside patiently, I shut the door behind me and clear my throat. "Sir, we believe that we know what has happened to Fawn." The moment that her name has left my lips, Captain Holt's head snaps up and his eyes fixate on mine, refusing to surrender the contact made. 

"Rosa, Charles and I went to her apartment to find her key snapped off in the lock, and after we made our way inside, we found the place completely deserted. All her belongings had been removed, tied up in garbage bags and thrown into a trash disposal bin, which Charles uncovered just as we were about to leave," I explain, Captain Holt listening intently to every single word. 

"We... believe that she's retreated back to the army," I state and after the sentence falls from my lips, I see - just for a moment - Captain Holt's eyes flutter slightly, but then he immediately returns to his stoic character. "Have you made the announcement to the rest of the precinct?" He asks and after I shake my head, he motions towards the door and says, "Then you should let everyone know what is going on."

I nod my head and exit his office, then I loudly clear my throat and ask for the attention of the squad. "I have an announcement to make in relation to the location of Fawn Hamilton." Everyone's attention switches over to me after Fawn's name is mentioned, as the entire precinct has been concerned about Fawn's disappearance; even Scully and Hitchcock noticed that. "We have reason to believe that Fawn has retreated back to her old job, working in the armed forces. Whilst we do not know the cause of this decision and where she has gone, we will continue to search for more answers. But in light of this new information, we must not lose track of our current task: trying to locate and arrest Freddy Miliardi and James Hamilton."

A sombre atmosphere takes over the precinct, which is not the way that you want to leave it at the end of the day. As everyone starts to pack their things up, I hear Terry call my name and after I walk up to his desk, he asks for more details about how we know Fawn has gone back to the army. After I explain everything that I told the Captain, his face falters slightly but I promise him that we won't give up on her, none of us will.

He nods his head and we both make our way to the lift, where we are joined by Captain Holt, Charles, Rosa and Gina. None of us are able to say anything, so we all jump slightly when the Captain's phone starts to ring in the middle of all the silence. "Captain Raymond Holt of the Ninety-Ninth Precinct," he answers, consistently maintaining his formal way of speaking. "Thank you, I'll be there shortly."

He hangs up the phone and turns to everyone, his face just as hard to read as ever. "Who was that on the phone, Sir?" Charles asks, voicing the intrigue of everyone else in the elevator. "The hospital alerting me on Peralta's condition. He is showing signs of waking up."