Eleven

Fawn

"Jake?" I mumble as I open my eyes, which are almost blinded by the intense lights in the ceiling. There's a distinct smell of hand sanitiser everywhere, the duvet I'm under is incredibly scratchy and when I tilt my head to the side, I see that my arm has been bandaged up tightly. I try to sit up, but my arm stings excessively when I attempt to push myself up, so I just fall back down and turn my head to the side, where I see a sleeping Jake. 

I can't help but chuckle slightly at how peaceful and calm he looks, especially as the last thing I remember was his frazzledness in the ambulance and how he would not let go of my hand, despite my insistence that I was completely fine. Carefully, I lean over and prod him in the chest a few times, to which he grumbles slightly and his eyes flutter open. At first, he looks disturbed and irritated to be woken up, but that swiftly vanishes and a beaming smile grows on his face, his eyes brightening up significantly. 

"Fawn!" He exclaims, as he jumps out of his seat and grabs my hand, "you're awake! How are you feeling?" I chuckle again at his behaviour and revert back to the centre of the hospital bed, a small exhale leaving my lips as I lean back into the pillow. "Alright, my arm stings a little, but nothing else hurts. When did I fall asleep?" I ask, struggling to remember what happened past arriving at the hospital.

An effect of losing blood after being stabbed is dizziness, so perhaps when we arrived, it overwhelmed me. 

"Uh, you were a bit out of it when we arrived at the hospital, so they quickly took you away and to not risk you becoming more alert, they put you under some anesthesia and performed a surgery to stitch up your wound," Jake explains and he adds that he gave both mine and his details at the front desk, which was very helpful. "Are you sure you're not in any pain? That wound looked quite big and you lost a fair amount of blood."

I shake my head and give him a reassuring smile, before telling him that it's just a mild sting. Reassured, Jake brings his chair forward slightly and sits back down, still holding my hand. "Jake, you don't have to hold my hand anymore," I state and almost instantly, he withdraws his hand and rambles about how he was just worried about me. "Okay, calm down, Peralta," I laugh, wishing that I could take a photo of his embarrassed, blushing face. Then, he sits up slightly and his face twists from embarrassment to seriousness, to which I turn around and I see a doctor with a clipboard walk in.

"Miss Hamilton, Mr Peralta," he starts, his voice fairly monotonous, "I'm Dr. Turner, I oversaw your surgery to make sure everything went according to plan. You have various stitches in your arm and we have cleaned the various miniscule wounds on your legs from the glass shards. I would advise that over this upcoming weekend, you take things fairly easy," he explains, me and Jake simultaneously nodding.

"We noticed you have a lot of injuries on your back, but Mr Peralta explained at the front desk that your previous occupation was in the armed forces and that you were not too bothered by the knife lodged in your arm, so if you don't wish for us to do anything about them, you are both free to leave."

I thank him and get Jake to help me sit up, the irritating duvet sliding off my chest quite easily. There's a substantial amount of dried blood on my joggers, but I know I can easily replace them, so I don't let it worry me. However, I know that the worry will lie with Jake and true enough, I turn around to see a slightly concerned expression across his face.

"A lot of injuries?" He asks as he helps me get off the hospital bed and when I shiver slightly, he removes his leather jacket and wraps it around my arms. Clearly I didn't choose the best cardigan last night. "Yeah, don't worry about it though," I reply as we make our way out of the hospital, my arm stinging ever so often. 

Then I realise that I haven't paid the hospital bills. The ambulance bill alone will be around $700 and then the night over in the hospital could be anywhere upwards of $800, money that I cannot afford to spend on hospital bills.

"Jake, you didn't pay for my ambulance and hospital bills, did you?" I ask, my brows furrowing in confusion. He shakes his head and says, "Once we're outside, it will make sense." Now even more confused, we leave the hospital and once we're outside in the car park, I see the entire squad outside. Amy is holding a large bouquet of flowers, Charles is carrying a hamper of food, Gina flaunts a bottle of champagne, Terry is holding a teddy bear in his hand, Captain Holt stands in the middle with a small smile on his face - VERY unusual as in the limited time I've been around him, he rarely ever smiles - and Scully and Hitchcock are slightly off to the side, eating cheese burgers. 

"What's going on?" I ask as I walk over to everyone, Jake practically beaming. "Well, when you were in your surgery last night," he starts to explain, now standing with the squad, "I called everyone to tell them what happened and they all agreed to chip in for your hospital bill!" 

I feel my eyes expand with shock, to which most of the squad chuckle at. "We got all of this individually though," Amy adds, giving me a sympathetic smile, which I appreciate. I thank everyone for helping out and after I accept both hugs and presents from everyone, Captain Holt clears his throat.

"You have just come out of hospital and you are more than welcome to refuse, but the squad and I arranged a little get together at my home, if you are feeling up to it," he announces and I don't have to think twice before saying yes. Everyone cheers and once Jake insists that he take me home, everyone parts with a scheduled meet-up time for the gathering.

"My car's in the parking lot," he says as he leads me through the sea of vehicles, "I quickly nipped to grab it whilst you were asleep after your surgery." I thank him again and soon enough, we headed back to my apartment.