Thirty-Three

Jake

"I stand here today with Police Detective Jacob Peralta, a member of New York City's ninety-ninth police precinct that was heavily involved in the recent arrest of crime boss Freddy Miliardi," the news reporter announces to the camera in front of us, holding her microphone close to her lips. "Miliardi was arrested merely days ago, and has been incarcerated for not only his offences as one of the city's biggest crime bosses, but for the hand he played in the abduction and torture of Police Detective Fawn Hamilton."

I feel my hands clench behind my back at the mention of Fawn's name, but I try to maintain myself. 

"Raymond Holt, the Captain of the ninety-ninth precinct, released a statement a year ago that Detective Hamilton had returned to her previous occupation in the United States Armed Forces. She had been abducted and tortured months prior to her sudden career change, yet made a speedy recovery from her injuries." 

The reporter then turns to me, and asks for my statement on the arrest of Freddy Miliardi, hoping for a little more insight as to his arrest. 

"The hunt for Miliardi has been a strenuous one," I start, "and there were several points where it seemed that we were never going to locate him, but we received information from a yet-to-be identified source that led to his hiding location. With the amount of evidence we had against him, from previous crimes and those against Detective Hamilton, his incarceration sentence was dealt quickly. However, myself and the precinct will not stop our efforts to locate, arrest and incarcerate the second individual involved in Detective Hamilton's abduction."

"And who is this second individual?" The reporter asks, her eyes widening ever so slightly with anticipation. 

"James Richard Hamilton. Detective Hamilton's father."

-

"Jake?"

I look up from my swamped desk to see Amy, Rosa and Charles, all staring at me with what seems to be great concern in their eyes, which is the last thing I need right now. That interview was more than enough to stress me out, and then I come back to several open cases flung across my desk, no doubt from Gina who couldn't be bothered to just file them away like they should be.

"What do you guys want?" I snap, my eyes darting across from the sheets on my desk to my computer screen.

"We just... wanted to check up on you," Amy admits, glancing nervously at Rosa and Charles, "and see how you're doing."

"I'm fine, guys. Shouldn't you guys be working on cases or something?"

"Dude, we're just worried about you," Rosa snaps back, clearly annoyed with me as she pretty much always is now, "you're not the Jake we know, and you haven't been since you woke up from your coma."

"Have you got a problem with that?" I ask, abruptly standing up from my chair, "Because as far as I'm concerned, I'm getting cases solved faster than I ever had before."

"Jake, even Captain Holt is worried!" Charles exclaims.

"Well, he can take his worry and--"

"Peralta!"

My head snaps towards Captain Holt's office to see the man himself standing in his doorway, a hopeful look in his eye as he beckons me to step inside, wanting a private word with me. With a slight huff, I push past Rosa and Amy, who both don't hold back murmured complaints, whilst Charles just stands there in silence. 

"What can I do for you, Captain?" I ask as I shut the office door behind me, but he doesn't say another word. He just... hands me his phone. Hesitantly, unsure of his strange behaviour, I take the phone and hold it up to my ear.

"Jacob Peralta speaking."

"Mr. Peralta, my name is Captain Jameson of the United States Army."

"Sir... why am I speaking to you?"

"There was a mission that was initiated over a year ago, one that I believe had gone disastrously wrong, as the team we sent out stopped replying on their radios. I believe you knew one of our soldiers, Sergeant Fawn Hamilton."

"Y-yes, I know Fawn! Wait... you said you think the mission went wrong?"

"Affirmative. We stopped receiving radios from the team that Sergeant Hamilton was in charge of leading, they stopped coming in about three months into the mission. After we continued to not hear anything, we had to assume one of two things. Either the team and Sergeant Hamilton had been taken hostage, or they were all dead."

"D...do you know what h...happened?"

"Until three days ago, we had assumed the worst. But then we got a radio in. From Sergeant Hamilton's frequency."

"A-and?"

"We don't know the state of the rest of the team, but Sergeant Hamilton is currently on her way to hospital for recovery. Her emergency contact was a Captain Raymond Holt, who insisted that I divulge this information to you. Sergeant Hamilton's identity has been successfully confirmed, it is her. She kept slipping in and out of conscience whilst in the barracks, so I do not know how badly she'll have been affected by her injuries. However, I have been told that you were someone that meant a great deal to her, so I'm sure she would appreciate a visit from you."

"T-thank you, Captain Jameson."

"Goodbye, Mr. Peralta."

As soon as the phone line ends, I feel my legs stumble and I fall onto the leather sofa at the edge of Holt's office, my heart beating faster and faster by the second. Then, the moment that everything truly settles in, I jump back onto my feet and despite Captain Holt's shouts after me, I rush out into the bullpen. Desperately, I grab my jacket and try to get all the things I need together as quickly as possible.

"Jake, Jake! What the hell's going on?" I hear Amy implore, and when I look up at her, I see her frazzled expression at my hastened speed.

"Fawn's captain called, Captain Jameson... she's in the hospital. She's been brought back home, at last!"

Several other heads turn around to my voice, and different expressions are plastered across faces. Shock. Thankfulness. Joy. Surprise. A mixture of all four, and even more. Amy looks at me with all of them, but also a gratefulness.

"I need to..."

"Jake, you go. You need to see her," Amy says with a short smile, and I need to hear nothing else. 

I bolt for the elevator doors.

Hold on, Fawn. I'm on my way...

Hello everyone!

I am SO sorry that it has taken me nearly a full year to get an update out for Hostage. I know that several of you have been desperate to read more, and I can only apologise for not getting something out sooner.

My life started to become incredibly busy during the last few updates, and it became increasingly hard to find the spare time to even think about what to write for next updates.

From now on, I make NO promises that updates will come out soon and/or often, but just know that I have every intention on writing and finishing this story. But for now, I hope you enjoyed this long overdue update, and please comment where you think this story could go - or if you have your own ideas you'd want written, feel free to comment or PM me with them. 

Thank you again!! :)