Thirteen

Jake

"Happy Halloween everyone!" I exclaim as I walk into the bullpen, which has been fully decorated to suit the occasion: fake webs are hung everywhere with spiders hidden inside, flimsy skeletons are hung from the ceiling, ghost and witch stickers are stuck to desks and there's faint Halloween music playing.

As I sit down at my desk and go to mock Santiago's hatred for Halloween, I hear the elevator doors open to reveal Fawn, a coffee in her hand.

No one else seems to realise as she sits down opposite myself, but her eyes look heavy and sleep-deprived, matching the slight change of energy surrounding her

No one else seems to realise as she sits down opposite myself, but her eyes look heavy and sleep-deprived, matching the slight change of energy surrounding her. Even Amy doesn't realise, but that could be because I've become more aware around her.

It's been a few months since the night Fawn's home was broken into and the night she spent at my apartment. Nothing major happened, but after she came out of the bathroom after taking a shower, I saw the top of a scar on her back. She had a large towel wrapped around her so I only saw the tip of it, but the darkness of the scar sent a worried chill down my spine. Knowing practically nothing about her time in the army or what she experienced doesn't help either.

So I feel like over the last couple of months, I've been more aware of Fawn. Not in a weird, stalker-like way, but just a general awareness around her. She's been moved back into her apartment since and has been just as dedicated and successful in her detective role. However, nothing has come out about the break-in yet, as there was no DNA left at the scene 

"Morning everyone," she says aloud as she sits down at her desk, a small smile on her face. Most of the pen respond with either a nod, wave or a 'good morning'. As everyone starts to load up their computers and pull out their case folders, I lean over to Fawn and rap the desk with my knuckles a few times, gaining her attention.

"How are you feeling?" I ask, before lowering my voice to more of a whisper, "you look tired." Fawn shrugs at my comment, a sigh leaving her lips. "Okay, I guess. And I am a little tired, didn't have a great sleep last night. How are you feeling?" She asks, which gets me really excited as Halloween is probably my favourite night to be working in the precinct.

"Well, you'll find out in..." I stop to look at my Voltron watch on my wrist, "a few minutes." She gives me a confused look and when Holt calls everyone into the briefing room, I just tell her that it will all make sense once I've explained.

-

Fawn

Incredibly confused, I follow Jake and the rest of the squad into the briefing room. Jake stands up near the front beside Sergeant Jeffords and Captain Holt, so I take a nearby seat next to Rosa and sit down, taking a large gulp of my very caffeinated coffee. As everyone settles in, Captain Holt clears his throat and the room's attention moves away from their individual conversations. 

"Good morning precinct," he starts, his voice monotonous but commanding, "as you all know, the seasonal holiday of All-Hallows Eve has arrived and consequently, tonight will be a busy night for all. However, we have our own tradition in the precinct for this holiday. Detective Peralta, if you'd elaborate for everyone."

Jake takes Captain Holt's place in the centre and clears his throat, an excited smile on his face. "So guys, it's time for our annual Halloween Heist! For those who don't know what I'm on about, basically just Fawn," Jake starts, sending a wink my way, which I reply with an eyebrow raise, "the Halloween Heist became a tradition a few years ago when Holt started working here as our Captain. The aim is to steal something before midnight. The first item was Holt's medal of valour, but this year's item is this..."

Jake then reaches over to the nearby table and picks up a simple red beanie, then proceeds to show it to the room, showing that it's filled with chocolates and folded up dollar bills. "This beanie contains a variety of Halloween chocolates and a total of twenty-five dollars. Whoever has it in their possession at the end of the night will take home the contents, but also will be the champion of the Nine-Nine Halloween Heist."

Everyone around me starts to get excited and when I make eye-contact with Jake, he extends his hand and motions to me. "So, Detective Hamilton, will you be taking part in our annual Halloween Heist this year?" He asks loudly, most of the room now looking at me. I smirk, raise my coffee cup up and open my mouth to say, "Not this year, however I'm sure that I am going to get reams of entertainment by watching everyone else compete for the beanie of money and sugar."

Several laughs are heard around the room as Jake chuckles, before everyone heads out of the room, some taking folders from Sergeant Jeffords for new cases to work on. I'm in the middle of a simple hit-and-run case, so as I don't need to take a folder, I just walk out of the briefing room and towards my desk. As I go to sit down, my phone rings and it's a number I don't recognise, so I decide to step out onto the outside balcony and answer it. 

"Hello, this is Fawn Hamilton," I answer, a cold morning breeze travelling through the air, filling my hair. An incredibly distorted and covered up voice replies, simply stating my name. "Who is this?" I ask, my voice sternly serious. Whoever is on the other end of the phone doesn't answer my question and instead says, "You've been ignoring our threats that have been sent to your apartment."

I scoff slightly. "Please, it takes more than some spineless sentences to threaten me, you can keep sending them but I'll just keep ignoring them." The person on the other end chuckles, their laugh deep and slightly villainous. 

"That wouldn't be a wise choice. You wouldn't want anyone close to you to be in harms way, would you?" They threaten. "Listen here," I answer, my tone becoming more and more angry, "I don't know who the hell you are or why you're threatening my life and anyone close to me, but you have no idea who you're dealing with."

Another chuckle follows my comment before they reply to my comment. "I wouldn't be so sure about that... Sergeant." They hang up, I feel my breath hitch and every muscle in my body seems to freeze; my legs are unable to move and I nearly drop my phone from the shock.

Sergeant. 

Whoever they are, they know me from the army. 

And clearly, I didn't leave a very good impression.

~

Hello everyone!

I just wanted to thank everyone for 5.86k views on 'hostage'! That is a staggering amount of reads and I cannot express how much it means to me, I am very proud of what this story is at the moment and with what I have planned for it, I can't wait to hear what people think of it.

Despite what I've got planned for the story, I would love to hear if there is anything specifically that you guys want to be included! Whether it's special moments between Fawn and someone in the precinct, a significant moment from the series that you want to see interpreted from my view etc. So please, leave any ideas or suggestions you want to see in this story and I will try my best to include as many of them as I can.

Once again, thank you so much and I hope you continue to read and enjoy 'hostage'!

~ ukudoodle :)