Chapter Ten

[CHAPTER TEN]

Vincent seemed to still be self aware in his new snake body as he tried to wrap himself around Nephthys neck when she picked him up but he wasn't long enough. She tore his body aware from her neck and stared at him carefully. He hissed, his forked tongue pointed at her.

"You know. . .snakes are pretty cute," She said, "You'd be adorable if I didn't know you were Rowle."

As much as she believed he'd be better off as a snake, she knew she couldn't leave him a snake forever. She took off the outer layer of her robes and placed him on them before holding the ends together to create a makeshift carrier. She walked briskly as she began her search for Rosie through the giant castle.

She checked the library first since it was the closest, Rosie wasn't there. She checked the Great Hall, she wasn't there either. She also asked someone if Rosie was in the Hufflepuff common room, she wasn't there either.

As Nephthys hurried around the castle, desperately searching for Rosie while not making her distress obvious, it was sheer luck that she ran right into Rosie as she turned a corner.

"I'm sorry —"

"Rosie!" said Nephthys, "I've been looking all over for you!"

"Nephthys?" said Rosie in surprise, "Why? What's the matter?"

"I finished the potion," said Nephthys as she tried to catch her breath.

Rosie's eyes widened, "Really? That's great —!"

Nepthys interrupted her as she tried to get all the words out at once, "And I was really curious, so I tested it on Vincent Rowle and now he's a snake."

Rosie fell silent as she stared at Nephthys, "What do you mean by 'he's a snake'?"

"He's a literal snake, Rosie," said Nephthys as she lifted her robes, "He's in here. He tried to strangle me, he's a very mad snake. What do I do?"

"You mean. . .the potion recipe that the twins gave you — that I gave you — turned someone into a live snake? Bloody hell, that's wicked," breathed out Rosie.

"Rosie! I mean, yes, it's cool and for the first time in my life, I found Rowle kinda cute but he's a snake with the intent of murdering me. How do I turn him back?" said Nephthys, "Although, I suppose he'll still murder me as a human, but at least he won't get away with it."

Rosie pursed her lips for a moment, "You won't like my answer." Nephthys stared at her impatiently and Rosie continued, "I. . .don't know." Nephthys's eyes widened and Rosie held up her hands in surrender, "I didn't even know the potion did that! Fred and George told me it was supposed to change hair color or something, not turn a human into an animal!"

"Rosie! What am I going to do with a murderous pet snake?" said Nephthys, "Do you want it?"

Rosie stared at her as if she was bonkers and maybe she was, "No!"

"Do you think if I release it in the wild, he'll find a way back to kill me?" asked Nephthys.

"Maybe turn a student into a honey badger and feed it to him?" suggested Rosie. Once she saw Nephthys's looks, she raised her hands again, "Don't look at me! Hufflepuffs are european badgers and I don't fancy eating a snake, sorry."

"A badger is a badger," said Nephthys, "Who do you think will win if I turn myself into a snake and we battle to the death?"

"You're not turning yourself into a snake!" said Rosie as she ran a hand through her long hair, "Look, this is what we are going to do, alright? We're not going to release Rowle into the wild or feed him to an animal, we're going to do the right thing and make sure he turns back into a human."