Chapter Thirteen

the mysterious injury ——— IT WAS FOUR IN THE MORNING WHEN Nephthys woke up in a cold sweat. She couldn't even hear the soft music playing in her dorm from her heavy breathing. She had one again, another dream. Was it because she saw George? There was something that connected them if so, something she had never considered before. Nephthys felt around her nightstand until she found her bag. She shuffled through it hurriedly, grabbing her writing utensils in a sloppy manner. She went to grab a piece of parchment when she realized her drawing journal that she hadn't touched in ages. She pulled it out.

She couldn't believe she had it in her bag the entire time. No, she was certain she hadn't had it in her bag the entire time because she would've seen it. She opened it with a shaky breath. The black and white drawings of what she imagined "the kingdom" to look like. She wondered if she showed these images to George, if they'd be familiar.

"Merlin, stop thinking about him," she mumbled to herself as she turned to an empty page. She dipped her quill into the ink and wrote down the time she woke up and what she felt after waking up. Once she was done, she wrote down the similarities between her dreams and George's from what she remembered.

The music dropped playing and Nephthys lifted her head.

"Neph? What are you doing?" asked Belle quietly. Nephthys finished up and closed her journal. She slid it under her pillow just as Belle opened her curtain.

"Me? What about you?" asked Nephthys, "Was that an instrumental of the weird sisters? At four in the morning?"

"I needed a distraction," said Belle, "May I?" She gestured towards the bed and Nephthys nodded. Belle crawled onto the bed and laid beside Nephthys, who had moved over to make space for her. "Vincent finally acknowledged there was never a chance of you two happening."

"About time," mumbled Nephthys.

"And of course it's your fault for leading him on," said Belle sarcastically before she giggled. Nephthys covered her mouth to muffle her laugh.

"Did he say that?"

"Of course," said Belle, "Neph. . .have you ever thought about dating someone?"

"What?" said Nephthys, taken aback, "Why this all of a sudden?"

"Well, I'm sure worried about you," said Belle, "It doesn't mean he'll leave you alone, but if you have someone who's smart and wealthy and intimidating-ish, maybe he will."

"Belle," said Nephthys as she clicked her tongue, "I don't need to hide behind someone else. I am intelligent and wealthy and intimidating-ish."

"I admire your confidence but you're also available!" cried out Belle, "He doesn't find you intimidating, all he knows if you have a pretty face and belong to the Malfoys. It doesn't help that our father wants this alliance and is pushing him to get with you and Vincent is the ever so obedient son who is allergic to being a disappointment."

Nephthys sighed, "How annoying. I'll mail Mr. Malfoy in the morning and ask him to get the Rowles off my back."

"And he'll do that? I mean by his definition, the Rowles are a great family."

"I could mail Mrs. Malfoy too, she'll definitely be on my side," said Nephthys.

"Or you can date someone who is better than him."

"No," said Nephthys.

"Entertain me for a moment, Neph!" said Belle, exasperated, "Listen to me, what are you even going to tell the Malfoys? 'Can you please tell Mr. Rowle to tell his son to back off because I'm not interested in any sort of relation with him and he's annoying?' What if they're worried to piss off my father and tell you they can't or they'll try but no promises?"