Chapter Six

[CHAPTER SIX]

"Does this mean we're best mates now?" said Theodore after Nephthys sat down in between the two boys rather than going back to her friends.

"Temporarily," said Nephthys as she rested her head on her palm just as Professor McGonagall entered the hall with the new batch of Hogwarts students. She remembered when she was a small, wide-eyed first year too. When she was sorted into Slytherin, Rosie cheered the loudest from the Hufflepuff table and Nephthys could hear it over the Slytherin claps. She had looked over where Rosie was standing and the smile on twelve-year-old Rosie's face melted away all of Nephthys' fears in that moment.

Nephthys was half asleep by the time the sorting was done. She woke up when she heard Dumbledore's voice travel through the Great Hall.

"Welcome!" said Dumbledore, "Welcome to another year at Hogwarts! I have a few things to say to you all, and as one of them is very serious, I think it's best to get it out of the way before you become befuddled by our excellent feast. As you will all be aware after their search of the Hogwarts Express, our school is presently playing host to some of the dementors of Azkaban, who are here on Ministry of Magic business."

Nephthys's eyes drifted over to the Hufflepuff table. She couldn't see Rosie, but she imagined her face to be quite pale. Dementors were one of Rosie's biggest fears and they would be everywhere for who knew how long.

"They are stationed at every entrance to the ground and while they are with us, I must make it plain that nobody is to leave school without permission. Dementors are not to be fooled by tricks or disguises — or even invisibility cloaks. It is not in the nature of a dementor to understand pleading or excuses. I therefore warn each and every one of you to give them no reason to harm you. I look to the prefects, and our new Head Boy and Girl, to make sure that no student runs afoul of the dementors. On a happier note, I am blessed to welcome two new teachers to our ranks this year. First, Professor Lupin, who has kindly consented to fill the post of Defense Against the Dark Arts teacher."

It was the teacher that confronted Draco. There was some scattered, rather unenthusiastic applause. Only a few clapped really hard, but Nephthys couldn't find it in herself to care about who they were. She saw Snape seething in the background and couldn't help but be amused. Snape was alright. She didn't like him, but he mostly ignored her.

"As to our second new appointment," said Dumbledore as the applause for Professor Lupin died down, "Well, I am sorry to tell you that Professor Kettleburn, our Care of Magical Creatures teacher, retired at the end of last year in order to enjoy more time with his remaining limbs. However, I am delighted to say that his place will be filled by none other than Rubeus Hagrid, who has agreed to take on this teaching job in addition to his gamekeepung duties."

Now that was something Nephthys didn't expect. The Gryffindors table erupted into a loud cheer and Nephthys stared at their table with a blank stare as Theodore said some snarky remark under his breath. Nephthys turned back to look at Hagrid.

"Aww, look," said Nephthys, "I think Hagrid's crying."

Nephthys didn't mean to tease Hagrid, but she didn't remember who she was with. Theodore sniggered beside her, "I imagine it's one of the only things going for him."

Nephthys stared at him, but didn't respond. It didn't matter that she wasn't making fun of Hagrid, because Theodore was and he wouldn't care that she wasn't.